Auto Save vs Versioning [Solved]

Bill Phillips

Question

Up until now I'd thought that the auto saved versions were added to the revert list but they are apparently not. Shouldn't they be or why not? Otherwise, using auto save appears to be more awkward that using the revert option which includes only manually saved versions, something that isn't clear to me in the documentation (see copy in screenshot of pdf RG version 27.04.00). I've been using Cakewalk for a long time (since SONAR 4), but obviously haven't needed to use project recovery very often recently, which is good; but now that I am using it, I'm finding that my understanding of advanced file save options is wrong. My Cakewalk Preferences>File>Advanced options are shown in the Preferences screenshot.

Here's what happened: I was just tweaking settings on VX-64 plugins on duplicate channels in Cakewalk 2021.11 Build 010 and it crashed preceded by some audible hissing then blink gone.  I reopened the project after the abrupt exit and it seemed fine except recent tweaks weren't included. So I closed it with the idea of reverting to the most recent auto saved version since I hadn't manually saved during this session. As luck would have it Cakewalk auto saved less than a minute before the crash. So I wanted to use that auto saved version. It's visible in the file list in the upper left corner of the Cakewalk screenshot. However, when I selected File>Revert, the last available version was on 10/31 as shown in the Revert screenshot. And if I just open the recent auto saved version that includes most of my lost work, it's name includes the auto save text. I'd thought that the auto saved versions would be added to the Revert list but that's apparently not true.

From my experience just now and what's somewhat vaguely described in the documentation: I opened the auto saved version and saved it as the current version that had crashed. That worked and added the current version to the revert list. The last screenshot shows the project folder after I'd opened the latest auto save version and manually saved it as the project (ends in TEMP3) that crashed. I checked and the new manually saved version was also added to the revert list confirming that only manually saved versions make it onto the revert list.

BRKPvzn.png

yGF3P43.png

tKeVJBh.png

OJA0Hrc.png

QVpI16d.png

Edited by Bill Phillips

54 minutes ago, Bill Phillips said:

Well if you're using versioning,  and go to File>Revert, you'll be able to select anyone of the saved version available. I'm not at Cakewalk so I can't verify the command. 

That is correct. I have used this method and it works very well.

Right, if I was using versioning I could do that. What I want is for any file that is save to be placed in the recent window and not be dependent on a successful exit of the program to show up. I can save the file, have Cakewalk crash and it won't be in the recent window.

Minor and not worth pursuing.

Edited by Terry Kelley

One of my concerns with auto-save has been what happens with auto-save during export/bounce. Turns out it could have been a problem but no more. Near the bottom of the Bug Fixes list for 2021.11 is "Disable project auto-save while File Export/Bounce to Track(s) dialogs are open."

I'm leaving auto-save on and no longer worry about it impacting rendering.

On 11/5/2021 at 2:03 AM, Terry Kelley said:

Right, if I was using versioning I could do that. What I want is for any file that is save to be placed in the recent window and not be dependent on a successful exit of the program to show up. I can save the file, have Cakewalk crash and it won't be in the recent window.

Minor and not worth pursuing.

Not minor. If you can reproduce that, you should submit it as a bug.

My understanding is that CW will update recent only on a successful program project/

file close. A crash isn't a close. ;) I recall reading they already understood this. Maybe I'll submit it as a feature change at some point.

Edit, I should have said project/file close, not program.

Edited by Terry Kelley

On 11/5/2021 at 2:03 AM, Terry Kelley said:

Right, if I was using versioning I could do that. What I want is for any file that is save to be placed in the recent window and not be dependent on a successful exit of the program to show up.

Why wouldn't you use versioning if you're looking for a way to recovery lost work after a crash? I don't understand the problem your describing. And I believe that Recent Projects are "recently saved projects." So if you never saved it, it won't be there.