Jump to content
noynekker

I've Been Runnin'

Recommended Posts

So here's something newish . . . it's been lurking around my studio as a rhythm track for a long while, and I finally made a song from it. It started with a groove using cakewalk session drums, some jazzy guitar chords, now we got this. I added some organ, didn't like it, so changed it to horns, but the levels of those horns are tricky, depending which speaker system I listen on  . . . let me know how it translates ?  suggestions or comments from the cakewalk nation are always helpful.  (please ignore the mullet hairdo picture posted when offering your mix considerations, she liked it . . . but, where did she go ?

 

Edited by noynekker
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

vox sounds great.  Left side sounds like supposed to be a  rhythm guitar...might want better samples for that.   song is superb :D  Love the lead guitar, did you play that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, David Sprouse said:

vox sounds great.  Left side sounds like supposed to be a  rhythm guitar...might want better samples for that.   song is superb :D  Love the lead guitar, did you play that?

Thanks David . . . that rhythm guitar was part of the original idea along with the drums, so I left it the same, maybe I should do an upgrade. I played the lead guitar part on a very old and sketchy jazz guitar, it sucked sonically, so I did the  audio to midi conversion, and found the appropriate sample to do the job.

Edited by noynekker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Enjoyable melodic song with nice groove on the rhythm.
Good vocals and lead guitar. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice clean and balanced mix. You've got a good guitar counterpoint to the vocals going towards the end of the song. Well done!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Noynekker , vocals remind me a little of Neil Finn of crowded house (compliment) love the melody and general feel of the song ..really well sung and played chorus really hit the spot cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I listened on headphones . . . very catchy chord moves that are unconventional in transition . . . love those! Your excellent vocals I think should come up a tad in the mix? As they are, your hard panned rhythm guitar parts are just as loud as the vocal, at least that's what I'm hearing atm.

One silly idea is to get more strum going in that hard panned rhythm guitar.  As is, it's very 1,2,3,4. Like, you could strum it in the same or similar pattern as your hi hat, which is busier and a bit swingier. Might be worth a try,  or not!

 

Best thing is the originality, the vocal, and the quirky arrangement - very cool choices!

cheers,

-Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Makke said:

Enjoyable melodic song with nice groove on the rhythm.
Good vocals and lead guitar. 
 

@Makke   thanks for the listen and comments !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, antler said:

Nice clean and balanced mix. You've got a good guitar counterpoint to the vocals going towards the end of the song. Well done!

@antler  thanks for your positive comments about the mix and the vocal and guitar interplay in the last part . . . that sure took me a long time to figure out, so they would work together. (I checked out your S/C link, you've got some amazing orchestral stuff  there sir !)

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Paul Bush said:

Hi Noynekker , vocals remind me a little of Neil Finn of crowded house (compliment) love the melody and general feel of the song ..really well sung and played chorus really hit the spot cheers

@Paul Bush  thank you Paul . . . I am very familiar with Neil Finn, that is very high compliment indeed. I'm glad you liked it !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PhonoBrainer said:

I listened on headphones . . . very catchy chord moves that are unconventional in transition . . . love those! Your excellent vocals I think should come up a tad in the mix? As they are, your hard panned rhythm guitar parts are just as loud as the vocal, at least that's what I'm hearing atm.

One silly idea is to get more strum going in that hard panned rhythm guitar.  As is, it's very 1,2,3,4. Like, you could strum it in the same or similar pattern as your hi hat, which is busier and a bit swingier. Might be worth a try,  or not!

 

Best thing is the originality, the vocal, and the quirky arrangement - very cool choices!

cheers,

-Tom

@PhonoBrainer  Tom, you have a very keen ear, and your suggestions here are spot on . . . just when I thought it was done, hmmm, now maybe it can be a little better, Lol.

Thanks for your time and invaluable insights !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Vocal, guitar and songwriting are outstanding (pull the vox up). I’m listening on Bose wireless cans, and they hype the bass (horribly). Consequently the baseline is the “focus” (on this system) and the Cat is boring. You need a bass player; just keeping it real (hope I’ve not offended). With the drummer and bass “swinging” a little, this is a great tune. So I’ll hold the “like” for now. 
t

as to the mullet, what were we thinking?

you see my “cousin it” look from the early ‘70’s 🙃. Pulled my “current” look due to the Hawaiian shirt in the pic (I’ll leave it at that....)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, noynekker said:

I checked out your S/C link, you've got some amazing orchestral stuff  there sir !

Thanks for taking time to look, and for the compliment! I don't mean to OT your song thread, so I'll make this comment brief - more lately, I've been trying to learn to actually program some of the synths I have (synth-noob here). I'm planning to do an electronic/orchestral/chillout album thingy - that is, if I can commit myself to finishing it 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

Vocal, guitar and songwriting are outstanding (pull the vox up). I’m listening on Bose wireless cans, and they hype the bass (horribly). Consequently the baseline is the “focus” (on this system) and the Cat is boring. You need a bass player; just keeping it real (hope I’ve not offended). With the drummer and bass “swinging” a little, this is a great tune. So I’ll hold the “like” for now. 
t

as to the mullet, what were we thinking?

you see my “cousin it” look from the early ‘70’s 🙃. Pulled my “current” look due to the Hawaiian shirt in the pic (I’ll leave it at that....)

@DeeringAmps Hey Tom . . . these are great and helpful comments, no offense taken . . . I've fired (retired) my robot bass player . . . the new guy swings maybe a little too much, but what do I know ? This song is a little different than what I usually do, and this genre certainly needs to swing more, now that you mentioned it.

@PhonoBrainer   . . . thanks for the suggestion to lose the 1,2,3,4 rhythm guitar, and bumping the vocal up, I'm working on that right now.

Anyways, I'll upload a new mix later today . . . thank you all so much for your time and ears !

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Noynekker / Epic Dreamery ,  can't believe I've never realized the connection.   I thought this was a "Fantastic" song.  For Sure the vocals need boosting . Its sounds like it would be a hard one to play to against the drum track ,  but you did a good job of it . I was wanting to hear a little 4 on the floor deeper kick keeping me anchored a little tighter. I thought the vocals were Superb , it sounds like a timeless classic .      Loved it ..  mark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mark skinner said:

Noynekker / Epic Dreamery ,  can't believe I've never realized the connection.   I thought this was a "Fantastic" song.  For Sure the vocals need boosting . Its sounds like it would be a hard one to play to against the drum track ,  but you did a good job of it . I was wanting to hear a little 4 on the floor deeper kick keeping me anchored a little tighter. I thought the vocals were Superb , it sounds like a timeless classic .      Loved it ..  mark

Thanks so much Mark ! . . . yes, that was the final ingredient, that darn Kick . . . you tend to get so focused on other things in a long mix session, and forget to focus on the essentials. I really appreciate your ear help there . . . I've posted a new and (hopefully) improved mix . . . again, thanks to all who offered their suggestions to make this better.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello noynekker....very good song....i like the drums/rhythm feel you have in the song very much 🥁🎸🎹🎶

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Larry T. said:

Hello noynekker....very good song....i like the drums/rhythm feel you have in the song very much 🥁🎸🎹🎶

@Larry T.  Much appreciated, thanks for listening.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...