Noise when music is too complex in Cakewalk

Michaelgrig

Question

Hi guys, the following problem: I have a new PC and use it among other things for the production of music (used program: Cakewalk). However, when I have too many tracks or when it gets too loud, all I hear is noise and extremely slow and jerky sounds. It is not due to too little CPU or RAM power (AMD Ryzen 5 5600G and 16 GB). I suspect that the sound unit anchored in my motherboard (MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX II) is just not good enough. The driver I have set in Cakewalk is MME (32-bit). All others do not work, not even ASIO. I think I would have to buy a sound card with it then, right? Unfortunately I have no idea about such things. would you please help what I should do? Outside of the program, everything is fine with the sound (am connected via bluetooth with headphones and speakers).

a bit ot like the thread got, but to add to the whole asio4all/onboard thing - -i'm surprised that cakewalk aren't making efforts to ensure that the software works with the cheapest lowest-budget no-cost hardware around - they are pitching a free daw (a great free daw) but the fact that it's free means it will attract the people with no budget, so the whole "go buy something" attitude doesn't seem to fit in with the overall "free" ethos (imo)

/fwiw

8 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Heck, wouldn't a "producer" just download percussion samples? 😆

Perhaps. I think I would have the track recorded quicker.

For me, it's more "a good idea at some point." From my POV, someone running a rocket sled like that in MME 32 has issues to correct before shelling out for the interface. Numero uno, switch that thing to WASAPI ASAP. Numero dos turned out to be getting NON bluetooth cans.

The proper interface solves both of those issues in one swipe. A real ASIO driver and no Bluetooth.

Me, too. It doesn't get much simpler than plugging in a pair of headphones. 😊

Except for fiddle-f***ing around with latency, clicks and pops and ASIO4ALL bandaids....

From my POV, someone running a rocket sled like that

Shouldn't have any trouble dropping another $100 on a proper interface.

9 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

From where I stand, the only thing we seem to disagree about is at what point the budding recordist should invest $100+ in an audio interface. It's just earlier from your point of view than it is from mine.

I want to head off the troubles before they begin.

"Ultimate excellence lies not in winning every battle, but in defeating the enemy without ever fighting."

Sun Tzu

9 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

It doesn't have to descend into virtual fisticuffs

Shoot, b, this is all supposed to be in good fun. If your response isn't just roughhousing

Friendly sparring. This might go down better with a beer to chase it.

I don't like to recommend suboptimal solutions when I know a better one is within reach. By far the most audio issues of all kinds I see are people using the onboard chip or some substandard interface with ASIO4ALL instead of a proper driver. Very little from people who have a decent interface. So of course I go in that direction.

🍻

4 hours ago, pwalpwal said:

a bit ot like the thread got, but to add to the whole asio4all/onboard thing - -i'm surprised that cakewalk aren't making efforts to ensure that the software works with the cheapest lowest-budget no-cost hardware around - they are pitching a free daw (a great free daw) but the fact that it's free means it will attract the people with no budget, so the whole "go buy something" attitude doesn't seem to fit in with the overall "free" ethos (imo)

/fwiw

Frankly, I think they should be more forthright and honest about what is really needed to get good results rather than pushing what you can "get by" with.

14 minutes ago, bdickens said:

Frankly, I think they should be more forthright and honest about what is really needed to get good results rather than pushing what you can "get by" with.

You do know that the current Cakewalk will throw a message about switching to WASAPI if it detects that you're using ASIO4ALL, right? A step in the right direction says I.

It's good that this thread went the way it did, Amish rakefights aside. I think anyone reading it will get a good idea of the benefits of using WASAPI, getting an external interface and using its own ASIO driver, and the superfluous nature of ASIO4ALL (and other WDM wrappers like the Magix and Steinberg ones).

10 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

You do know that the current Cakewalk will throw a message about switching to WASAPI if it detects that you're using ASIO4ALL, right? A step in the right direction says I.

I had no idea.

I've been using my Focusrite 18i20 for years.

12 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

It's good that this thread went the way it did, Amish rakefights aside. I think anyone reading it will get a good idea of the benefits of using WASAPI, getting an external interface and using its own ASIO driver, and the superfluous nature of ASIO4ALL (and other WDM wrappers like the Magix and Steinberg ones).

Parts of these discussions should be collated and made a sticky.

• Like 1