How can I use my Keyboard on multiple MIDI tracks?

Mintaka

Question

Hey, I'm pretty new to cakewalk  :)

I just recorded a MIDI track, using my keyboard (Yamaha DGX-305) and everything worked fine.

Now I wanted to record another MIDI track, using the same keyboard (but another VSTi instrument).

First I choosed "MIDI Omni" as the input channel for both tracks which ended in a fatal error.

Then I choosed "MIDI-Channel 1" for the first track and "MIDI-Channel 2" for the second. This didn't end in an error but I couldn't hear any sounds from the second track, while playing the keyboard (input echo was enabled).
Choosing any other MIDI-Channel than "MIDI-Channel 1" endet up with me hearing no sound at all (even for the first track).

"MIDI-Channel 2" for the first track and "MIDI-Channel 1" for the second also ended with a fatal error.

Can someone explain this to me, please? And is there a solution to my problem?

Thank you for your help :)

10 answers to this question

Selecting MIDi Omni for both tracks should not have caused a crash, but it's best to select the specific port and channel that your keyboard is transmitting on to prevent routing confusion.  Assuming the two tracks were inserted as Simple Instrument tracks, each will be using an independent virtual MIDI port between the MIDI side of the track and the instrument in the synth rack so there is no need to differentiate channels.  For Input, select the keyboard port and Channel 1.  You won't need to worry about channels unless and until your start using multi-timbral instruments. By default, Cakewalk will only echo MIDI to the synth associated with the track that is currently focused because 'Always Echo Current MIDI Track' is enabled by default in Preferences. This will be indicated by the Input Echo button in the track header lighting up with an 'A' in the icon, and you should only hear that instrument when performing on the keyboard. Or you can disable Always Echo in Preferences, and manually toggle input Echo buttons on and off to determine which track is echoing input from your controller.

52 minutes ago, John Vere said:

There’s a known issue with adding tts-1 to a project later in the game. But seems to never crash if you add it at the start 

Its not the best sounding synth anyway  

Thats exacly what happened in my testing, thank you for the explanation :)  

TTS-1 sadly enough might come to a point where it no longer works at all with Cakewalk.   It is no longer supported as the company who made it (Roland I guess)  have never updated it it is also DXi which hasn't been updated either.  Cakewalk does not own the source code so they can't fix it.   I don't use it in finished songs as there are much better instruments available , see the freeware thread,, But I depend on it for pre viewing downloaded midi files. When the day comes it won't run in Cakewalk I'll just use it with my old versions of Sonar.