Axiom 49 mapping basics

mika

Hi all, 

First, thanks for giving the opportunity to use such a powerful and user-friendly DAW for free. 

I am looking for a way to assign knobs and faders on my Axiom for 49 to those on the VSTs I'm using in Cakewalk, so I can control with a real thing and not just my mouse. 

I remember for instance, in another software, being able to assign by right-clicking on the knob  and just turning the one I wanted to on my midi controller.. But that doesn't seem to exist in CW. 

Maybe am I missing the whole thing?? 

Thanks for your help. 

Mika

• 1 year later...

The instructions aren't clear in the beginning. i am able to get to an ACT screen and add my Axiom 49, but nothing is working. I have 2022.06.   I'm trying to follow the Cakewalk directions but:

1. What Options tab is being referred to in line 1 below?  The Options tab in Track view does not have a MIDI Devices selection.

2. which View tab is referred to in line 2 below? There is a Views tab in main header, and View selections in Track and Piano views, but none of these have  Control Surfaces as an option. 

image.png.cf8ea7c0000fdffb67cf16a2b1d42cf2.png

5 minutes ago, Bill Eisner said:

The instructions aren't clear in the beginning. i am able to get to an ACT screen and add my Axiom 49, but nothing is working. I have 2022.06.   I'm trying to follow the Cakewalk directions but:

1. What Options tab is being referred to in line 1 below?  The Options tab in Track view does not have a MIDI Devices selection.

2. which View tab is referred to in line 2 below? There is a Views tab in main header, and View selections in Track and Piano views, but none of these have  Control Surfaces as an option. 

image.png.cf8ea7c0000fdffb67cf16a2b1d42cf2.png

The document in this link was created in 2007 using a DAW with a significantly different UI.

On 9/26/2021 at 2:48 PM, Cactus Music said:

The current CbB documentation covers both setting up a control surface and how to setup/use ACT.

Hope I am not derailing the discussion, but I am wondering what the advantages are of using either a Control Surface style setup or an ACT style setup over a more direct approach.  For software synths, I usually just right click on a parameter control in a VST (unless the VST requires an additional parameter mapping step), select MIDI Learn in the VST's UI (assuming the manufacturer implemented it), and move the desired hardware controller on my keyboard.

Edited by User 905133
fixed typo

1 hour ago, User 905133 said:

Hope I am not derailing the discussion, but I am wondering what the advantages are of using either a Control Surface style setup or an ACT style setup over a more direct approach.  For software synths, I usually just right click on a parameter control in a VST (unless the VST requires an additional parameter mapping step), select MIDI Learn in the VST's UI (assuming the manufacturer implemented it), and move the desired hardware controller on my keyboard.

MIDI Learn inside VSTi:

• needs implemented in hardware "pages" to control more parameters then physical controls
  • require MIDI input with controls routed to the track and echo enables
  • VST(i) should support MIDI control
  • rarely support encoders, almost no changes for feedback (plug-ins don't send current MIDI values back to device)
  • can be recorded as MIDI

ACT approach (not only "ACT MIDI" Cakewalk surface plug-in, but all surface plug-ins in general):

• switching which parameter hardware control at given time is configured in software
  • works independent from MIDI routing inside the project
  • works on Automation level, also fro VST without MIDI input
  • works with encoders, can provide feedback since current parameter value is known
  • can be recorded and automation

So, if the goal is record performance, including changes in VSTi parameters together with notes, MIDI learn in plug-in the way to go as really "direct approach".

• Thanks 1