Tricks to Matching Volume Between Two Tracks?

Scott Kendrick

Question

So we had the mix just right, but then decided we need to recut another guitar track. When I'm pulling it in, it's clear the volume is not quite what the original was. Are there any tricks to making sure I get the levels right beyond just eyeing and listening? Are there specific meters (like span) and settings that show/hold a peach level that I can A/B?

Thanks in advance.

3 answers to this question

I think that listening is the best way to volume match but you can use meeters. I would start by just using the track meeting. Set it to view rms and peaks and then compare the two track's meter readings. Adjust the tracks input gain control, at the top of the console view, to bring one down or the other up until their meter readings, mostly rms for volume, are close.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have the paid version ( Pro) of You Lean loudness meter. It allows me to drag and drop the audio track to the GUI and it tells me the true peak level and most importantly the LUFS.

I can then decide that there is ,say , a 6db difference between those two tracks and simply turn the gain up ( or down) 6db. Then I listen to proof that this was correct. It almost always is. 

https://youlean.co/youlean-loudness-meter/

• Great Idea 1