Opinion on My Master with Ozone9

Marcello

It's the difference between the quiet parts of a song and the louder parts of a song. Even if it's just short phrases. Like when a singer gets a little quiet on certain words or when a guitar backs off a little on notes during a run. Nothing should be distorted , even a guitar using distortion. It sounds strange , but I think there is a difference.  If it's just loud everywhere and the waveform is real thick and Flat , it lacks dynamics in most cases . Some people like it ,  I'm not one of them.  I think it is a real Plus to be able to achieve these levels cleanly  but I wouldn't if I could.   I have a volume knob and not afraid to use it.    PS-  I've asked for , and gotten help on Every song I've ever posted here and the other people responding to you have helped me greatly.               mark

Edited by mark skinner

13 hours ago, mark skinner said:

It's the difference between the quiet parts of a song and the louder parts of a song. Even if it's just short phrases. Like when a singer gets a little quiet on certain words or when a guitar backs off a little on notes during a run. Nothing should be distorted , even a guitar using distortion. It sounds strange , but I think there is a difference.  If it's just loud everywhere and the waveform is real thick and Flat , it lacks dynamics in most cases . Some people like it ,  I'm not one of them.  I think it is a real Plus to be able to achieve these levels cleanly  but I wouldn't if I could.   I have a volume knob and not afraid to use it.    PS-  I've asked for , and gotten help on Every song I've ever posted here and the other people responding to you have helped me greatly.               mark

ok I see but looking at the reference track waveform I'm using the distorted part looks like that, it's a chunky wave that looks the samme all the time, different is for the quiet part. On the other hand though, I don't want the listener having to stand up to turn down the volume on his stereo once the explosive part starts, i think there shouldn't even be too much dynamics otherwise you force the listener to constantly change the volume on his speakers, smartphone, etc.

This is the Waveform of the reference track I'm using, check it out, is it dynamic for you?

image.thumb.png.7b89fdd49c2504374b1e3cdcd0ba55f6.png

Edited by Marcello

3 hours ago, Marcello said:

I don't want the listener having to stand up to turn down the volume on his stereo once the explosive part starts, i think there shouldn't even be too much dynamics otherwise you force the listener to constantly change the volume on his speakers, smartphone, etc.

Don't go by waveforms, use your ears & mix it until it sounds the way you want it.

Dynamics are good in my book, the loudest part of the song is just that, mix the others instruments or sections accordingly.

Hi Marcello.

I am trying to learn about mastering my self, so my comments aren't necessarily valid by any stretch. And I've never tried to mix/master a beast like you have, here. 

Cool instrumental, in any case.

But the track overall sounds over compressed.  I   would like to take GTR's down a notch and up the levels of the drums, which sound muffled.

My 2 cents.

Cheers.

Bert 

Thanks, consider drums are midi programmed drums, and I only used a compressor for those to make them punchy, now I placed a limiter on them cause the snare was causing peaks in the master when I was trying to make the song loud by lowering the threshold, and still is, even if now the snare sounds less powerful and the peaks are slightly better.

About  the guitars and the bass, I didn't compress them at all, I have used an amp sim plugin.

Neither the master, I didn't compress it but I have placed a limiter, probably though I pushed the limiter too low to make it sound louder but indeed sounds squashed.

So I think I understood the matter here, my mix was too loud and I didn't leave enough DBs for the master. Now I'm trying to use limiters on drums to make the mix loud without clipping and leaving some headroom for the master.

Edited by Marcello