Audio tempo/time sig plugin for Sonar?

pax-eterna

I was at a friends house the other day, and he uses Reaper. I noticed on the bottom right of his screen a box that had the tempo listed, as well as the time signature. The interesting thing was this didn't just show these, it also allowed direct control of the tempo of the audio track/s/project, in real-time (albeit with a bit of lag to allow the system to catch up)....I was wondering if there is any such plugin available for Sonar?

I had taken him some WAV files of audio tracks created in Sonar, and they played way too fast when he imported into Reaper from the thumb drive, however when I told him the correct tempo, he simply changed this in the little box and presto it all slowed down....he reckoned that all audio files have tempo info in them??? I have not heard of this before, is that true?

I have noted that in Sonar when I adjust the temp of a project the audio tracks stretch in the display, but the speed (of the audio) stays the same, so I am a bit confused, hence the question about if this IS a "thing" and is such a tool available for Sonar?

The time display in Cakewalk is tempo based, whereas audio data is absolute time based - that's why you see the audio stretch when you slow down the tempo, and shrink when you speed it up.

To get the audio to automatically stretch with the tempo, switch on "Stretch to Tempo" for the selected audio clips in the clip inspector.

image.png.1566fcd67f49a23671cb83b19668267c.png

Important - make sure you set the Original Tempo to the existing tempo value BEFORE you change the overall tempo in your project.  You can do it afterwards, but you'll need to make sure you remember the exact tempo you had it at when your recorded your audio.

30 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

The time display in Cakewalk is tempo based, whereas audio data is absolute time based - that's why you see the audio stretch when you slow down the tempo, and shrink when you speed it up.

To clarify this a bit, the fixed visual time reference in Cakewalk is the MBT scale, and the Now cursor travels faster or slower across the bars and beats according to the tempo. If audio is not deliberately enabled to follow tempo changes, the visual  length of the clip will change such that it takes the same amount of time for the Now cursor to traverse the clip at the new tempo. 

The behavior is actually the opposite of what Mark said - audio clips shrink when the project tempo is lowered and stretch when it's raised.

• Like 1