Suddenly, volume levels stuck at -4.2 db

Billy86

I must've set something somewhere to make whatever is happening happen. Here's what's happening...

No matter what volume I have a track set to (either manually or with volume automation in read mode), when I bring that track into focus (let's call it track A), the volume fader of track A snaps to -4.2 db and won't move off that mark, even if the track's volume automation in read mode says otherwise.  If I put track B in focus, track B's volume fader snaps to -4.2 and won't budge; meanwhile, track A returns to its proper volume level and obeys volume automation.  This happens with volume automation on or off. In fact, the in-focus track completely ignores volumes I have in the Volume automation lane, with the project set to Read automation, and locks at -4.2 dB.

Even if I open a brand new project, with just empty audio tracks, they're ALL set to -4.2 db and won't budge, whether automation is on or off. If I insert a new audio track in a completely new project, its volume fader is also set to -4.2. 

Don't know if this has anything to do with it, but right before this behavior started, I had used the loopback function in my Scarlett 4i4 to record into CbB from another stand-alone software product, Izotope RX8. I can see in Focusrite control that everything looks normal. 

I've tried to shut down/relaunch CbB, and completely reboot my computer, but it had no effect. Should I uninstall/reinstall CbB. Something get corrupted? 

Any ideas what might be causing this?  

8 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Odd that even if you add a new track the vol gets reset. Are you using a control surface?
Can you post a video of what you are doing?

Thanks for the response. I have a Gen 1 Presonus FaderPort attached. I’ll see what I can do when back at my computer. 

7 hours ago, John Vere said:

I think Noel is on to it. Go into midi devices and disable all inputs. That will rule out control weirdness. 
The loop back is audio so that Couldn’t  take control of cakewalk only midi. 

Will check this out when back at my computer.  Thanks.