Recording, Organising, mixing, mastering individual drum tracks .. best way?

I made a complete tutorial about this but I deleted all those last winter. I was re posting but now  I'm waiting for the new releases as this version will soon be obsolete. But the main thing to understand about the interface of a digital kit is the VST you use should have a drum map for your kit.  You see in my screen shot it is not listed in Addictive drums. Possibly the TD 15 might be OK. But this is important to have to do this. There are custom Drum maps available. 

The reason is especially things like Hi Hat use special controller events to emulate a real Hi Hats variables. Otherwise your only getting note on and velocity. Hopefully those videos explain that. 

But the good news is all you really need to do is record your kit to an plain Midi track. Edit any blunders and send it back to the kit and record the stereo output from the kit. The playback will be identical to live sound of the kit with all the special articulations and whatnot. 

Bummer I see the Drum Modul doesn't have separate outputs for the kit pieces, only stereo.  That rules that out, therefore  only Midi and using a VST instrument would take you to the next level of having multi track kit pieces. 

So the workaround for that is as mentioned soloing each kit piece in turn and recording it. 

Screenshot (602).png

Right now I'm still trying to get my free Slate Kits to play when I hit the Roland Td17.

Get the new virtual kit to sound thru my speakers/headphones. 

Sounds like the easiest thing in the world. 

I can only get my Roland sounds so far. 

I still don't even know if the inputs/outputs of the MIDI tracks are set properly.

And Roland says "if you're using a VST to make sound, you should set (this is internal in the drum module) your LOCAL CONTROL to

OFF.

I do that, I get zero signal out, anywhere. 

10 hours yesterday, 10 hours the day before, and I've been at this for 8 hours today.

So far, no joy.

If you guys who understand this stuff don't work as logicians for the National Security Council, you should. This is the most perplexing, convoluted stuff I have ever encountered in my life, and I'm a manufacturing maintenance co-ordinator who can diagnose anything, make anything and fix anything.  I've never performed surgery, but I swear, in a pinch I could do a better job of it than I'm doing with this simple set-up to record MIDI drums. 

The TD17 module displays the MIDI assignments, for example:

SNARE <HEAD>  38 (D2)

and on down thru every trigger on the kit.

I went and wrote them all down. I thought it would help me, to "map". 

The Slate Kit has a mapping function. 

Cakewalk has a Drum Map Manager.

Do I need to set up one?

Both?

One before the other?

I've read the stuff about Drum Mapping in the reference guide. It shows an "in note" -presumably my Roland's trigger, and an "out note", which is the destination. 

The destination in my case is the virtual sound from the Slate Kit?

And do I even need to be concerned with Cakewalk's Drum Map Manager at this point? 

Can't answer that. 

I see the sounds and their addresses, but Slate's SNARE CENTER is at D1 38

The Roland's SNARE HEAD is set at D2 38.

Should I care about this?

On the Roland, I can change that address. Should I?

The Slate video up there mentions mapping for a E Drums for precisely 1 second at the very last part of the video, and shows me nothing. 

The other vids these guys (generously) provided detailed stuff that's miles down the road for me, I've skipped some steps and prerequisites, that obvious, But I don't know what they are. 

I've watched a million hours of tutorials, but they're not showing me what I need right now. 

I just want to see that virtual kit's kick-drum beater move, when I smack mine on the Roland, and hear the virtual kit's kick instead of the Roland's. That's it.  Right now, I'll settle for just the Kick.

I'm getting tangled up just reading this thread, honestly. There's been a lot of good suggestions in isolation here from some very knowledgeable people but all together it's like learning a bunch of really cool words and putting them all in a bucket and then trying to build a sentence out of whatever handful you've grabbed.

Let's establish a baseline of what we have in place now just so nobody is tripping over any information and leading you off on a dead-end path, or you just throwing things at the wall at this point and hoping something will stick.

E-drums: TD-17. This is connected to your PC via a Scarlett Solo for the audio out of the kit, which you can clearly hear. It's also connected to the PC via USB so you can get MIDI in.

Let's ignore any soft synths or anything at this point and make sure you're actually getting MIDI in OK. And apologies (both to you and everyone else who replied in the thread!)  if you've tried any of this stuff or been told or shown any of this stuff so far - some of those videos are excellent and would have gone over it, but let's keep it all together in one place for sanity's sake.

In Cakewalk's Preferences > MIDI > Devices, do you see your TD-17 listed as an Input and Output device, and does it have a check mark in it?

If you do, that's great - it means Cakewalk can see it and it's installed properly. If not, that needs to be sorted first before we can move on.

Next, if you insert a MIDI track into a new project, and set the input and output of that track to the TD-17, and then toggle the track's record button to arm it, and then press R to start recording, do you see it recording MIDI information?

If so, if this track is set to your TD-17 as the output, when you rewind the track and press space to play, it should make the TD-17 start playing sound that you'll hear coming in via the audio inputs on the Scarlett.

If you do, that's great - it means Cakewalk is successfully recording the MIDI of you hitting the drums. You don't need to worry about anything to do with individual pads or anything, it'll all come out as a bunch of data over the USB MIDI. We can sort that out next.

If you don't get any MIDI recorded, then there's something odd going on we need to fix first.

Let's get to this stage first and then we can talk about assigning that to SSD5 or whatever synth, and dive into multi-outs or drum maps, etc.

• Like 3

Mr @Twub 
 I recommend you start a new thread and clearly state what you have done so far and what is not working and including a clear screen shot of the track header with all dialogue boxes showing. 
At this point it is not clear what to say to be of any help. 

Edited by JohnnyV

10 hours ago, Lord Tim said:

Let's establish a baseline of what we have in place now just so nobody is tripping over any information and leading you off on a dead-end path, or you just throwing things at the wall at this point and hoping something will stick.

I had to step away for a time to do things like eat, shave, feed a cat, etc. I hadn't done any of those things for days. I used to record audio tracks on CbB with my band remotely, and the drum room in the basement was filled with thunderous, joyful rock and roll that often shook the entire house.  Since Saturday last though, there's been silence as this grim, rumpled madman sits chugging coffee and reading endlessly and viewing endlessly and muttering vile obscenities, all the while wondering why he's never paid any attention to MIDI technologies, and has only recorded live performances with an ancient Mackie four-track, instead of using a proper virtual studio. 

You all are Good Eggs. Truly. I will try my best to "un-stupid" myself going forward.

"In Cakewalk's Preferences > MIDI > Devices, do you see your TD-17 listed as an Input and Output device, and does it have a check mark in it?"

Yes,  Check marked on both input and output.

Under "Outputs", Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth, which I understand is some relevant aspect of my PCs soundcard, is NOT checked.

Inserting a new MIDI track, arming for recording and recording a series of snare-hits produces a recording that plays that back. 

The track itself under "In/Out" shows "All Inputs" for Inputs and "1-TD-17" for the Output. 

1 hour ago, JohnnyV said:

I recommend you start a new thread and clearly state what you have done so far and what is not working and including a clear screen shot of the track header with all dialogue boxes showing. 
At this point it is not clear what to say to be of any help. 

Johnny V, 

I hear you. But I can't do that. I really don't know what all I've done and haven't and couldn't describe it very well anyway. 

I will say this though, when it came to getting that download for the SSd5, things went south right away. 

It wasn't clear to me what to do with the files, and where ever location they extracted to, wasn't correct. There was a .dll that got put in some wrong location (and may still be) , and there was this  "Library" of gigantic size that's here somewhere, but is probably invisible to CbB. 

I got that .dll into the "Synth Rack" eventually on above advice and am able to drag it over to the tracks pane and see the two tracks appear there. One is a MIDI, and one is....an instrument track?

I can get the SS kit to appear and get sound out of it with a mouse. 

Then I spun my wheels for hours trying to get the Roland to play the thing.