re-activation: fail to recognize userid or pwd...but

gamo sphere

Hi,

I finally got this "please reactivate within 12 days message but when I try to login within the cakewalk it fails to recognize

the same userid/pws I'm using to login directly to this newsgroup and bandlab.com.

Ideas on what is happing..........and yes I've checked my cap locks!

Note (1) : It's the app running on W7 that is failing....I've tried with W10 and it work

Please don't tell you're not properly supporting the login process on W7...plase, please!

Note (2) : As I was trying to follow the offline registration procedure, which involves using the bandlab assistant

I did the "refresh initialization" from there to see what happens. Well I don't know if I'm "activated" but

for the moment I'm not seeing the re-initialization request.

So I've narrowed it down to the cakewalk program internal process on a W7 machine. However at the same time I

tu the bandlab assistant, to bandlab.com & to cakewalk user forum......oh and I have restarted my PC once in the

process.

Thanks

Mario

Edited by gamo sphere
Some debuggin information being updated

It is possible that Cakewalk and the Bandlab Assistant will at some point not run on W7. They have to move forward and as they update the software it is going to always be with W10 ( and IOS and Android )  in mind. W7 is totally not on any developers radar anymore. 

I still have a laptop running W7 and I just keep Sonar Splat on that machine. That way I can still use an old M Audio interface that is not supported in W10.  I even have a Netbook with Windows XP because my old Epson Printer Print to CD software only runs on XP 32 bit. It sure hates the internet. 

- At least they stopped breaking W7 now that the can do it with W10...(-:

- Inresting to see I can login to the assistant and initialize while I cannot login within the daw even though it's the same login window.......hilarious!

Oh and by the way....it's the same one to login to bandlab.com and to access this group via an IOS 9.xx Ipad.

- The next step is to change something in the offline activation file with something that doesn't exist in the W7 supported libraries that will make it impossible to follow the offline activation process using the  W10 based  family W10 pc.

M

The re-activation process within Cakewalk itself uses the Microsoft Edge WebView component. If your Windows 7 has all the latest updates, this should work fine (I've tried it on my Windows 7 boot, and this definitely works). I believe The Edge browser was included in the penultimate Windows 7 update.

Failing that, you can use BandLab assistant to re-activate.

I'm having the same issue on W7.  I tried "refresh activation" in bandlab assistant, but nothing seemed to happen.  Both Edge /Webview and Cake are up to date. Bandlab assistant in not up to date, as the update in failing for me.

Interestingly, after updating to "update 1" ,  a new "refresh activation" dialog in cakewalk is presented. It's goofy, as keystrokes typed into the username box are passed through to the app (for example typing "C" opens the control bar). I got around that by pasting in my credentials.  However, after clicking "login", cakewalk gives a "network error - try again later".  My network connection is fine and I tried it with my firewall turned off, to no avail.

Anyway, I performed an "offline reactivation" and it seemed to work, but there was no confirmation one way or the other.  I'm crossing my fingers in hopes I don't get locked out in 12 days.

One wonders why a reactivation is being enforced, since the software is free?

On 4/26/2021 at 3:08 AM, msmcleod said:

The re-activation process within Cakewalk itself uses the Microsoft Edge WebView component. If your Windows 7 has all the latest updates, this should work fine (I've tried it on my Windows 7 boot, and this definitely works). I believe The Edge browser was included in the penultimate Windows 7 update.

Failing that, you can use BandLab assistant to re-activate.