Export Raw Tracks Not Numbered in Track Order

Exporting raw tracks to send off for mixing has been a nightmare with Cakewalk. Firstly, the file naming convention does not make sense and I understand that requests have been made since years ago to allow for customized naming convention and up til today there has been no progress on that front. Nevertheless I can somewhat  overcome this issue with a third party batch renaming software. 

However this is where another problem with Cakewalk comes in, the numbering sequence that Cakewalk gives to the individual tracks does not correspond to the order of the tracks that are in the session.

For example, my tracks are ordered in this manner, as seen in the picture (session tracks):

GTR

Bass

FX

Vocals

So I would expect that the numbering of tracks should be GTRs first, then the Bass tracks, FX and Vocals. However, when the raw tracks are being exported, somehow Cakewalk just chooses to randomly number the tracks ending up something like the picture (Track List):

So I end up having GTR tracks at the bottom of the numbering sequence. 

This does not make sense, the idea of having the groups of instruments in the running order is so that when the mixer drags the tracks into his DAW of choice, its all in the correct order, guitars are together along with the vocal tracks. 

Any help is greatly appreciated, this naming thing has been driving me nuts...

PS: Am using the latest 2021.04 Build 125

Export Settings.jpg

Session Tracks.jpg

Track List.jpg

• Like 1

Short answer. Export clips not tracks.

Longer answer.

1. Bounce each track to a single clip that starts at time 0.00.000. Then give each clip a useful name. In the "Track" menu at the top of the Track View there is an option to "Copy Track Names to Clip Names".

2. Select all the tracks you wish to export and then open the Export Audio menu.

3. Navigate to the folder you want the export to go to.

4. In the Bounce Settings "Source Category" choose "Clips". 

Do Not put anything into the File Name box. Just hit export.

If you do not want Windows to sort your files alphabetically put a number at the beginning of each clip name.

Edited by Base 57
spelling

11 hours ago, Base 57 said:

Short answer. Export clips not tracks.

Longer answer.

1. Bounce each track to a single clip that starts at time 0.00.000. Then give each clip a useful name. In the "Track" menu at the top of the Track View there is an option to "Copy Track Names to Clip Names".

2. Select all the tracks you wish to export and then open the Export Audio menu.

3. Navigate to the folder you want the export to go to.

4. In the Bounce Settings "Source Category" choose "Clips". 

Do Not put anything into the File Name box. Just hit export.

If you do not want Windows to sort your files alphabetically put a number at the beginning of each clip name.

Hi Base!

Thanks for the tip!

Unfortunately that is not going to work for my workflow and only increases the time taken to prepare the tracks easily by 3x longer that what I'm doing now.  Furthermore, there are cases where I do not want to bounce the tracks into clips (due to retaining the edits and stuff). I know I can setup an archive folder of the original tracks or even do a save as, but it just makes the project file rather complicated (in my opinion).

I'm just curious as to how cakewalk is interpreting the order of the tracks in the backend when doing the "Export Audio" function so that I can perhaps make a workaround or something...