[SOLVED] Articulation map does not retrieve the most recent articulation in playback

Rogério

I have a Kontakt Strings Libray with key switches.

I'm using two articulations in Articulation Map: Legato e Pizzicato.

I have a video showing what happens:

The playback goes through Legato, then Pizzicato and finally Legato again.
When I want to play the third part (bar 3, legato, after pizzicato), Cakewalk is not retrieving the current key switch (legato) and is playing the previous key switch (pizzicato), even though it has already passed the current key switch.
How to solve this?

R6Wuh8j2Wa.png

Edited by Rogério

Try switching Chase Mode to Note.  And if that doesn't work try Chase Mode to Full.

Reply if still not working and we'll talk more.

Each library may behave differently but articulation maps are really helpful once set up.  Once you get a couple of artics working it's easy to copy and create larger maps.

And look thru threads in the artic maps contents section.

https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/forum/37-articulation-maps-new/

Edited by Steve Harder

Not chasing at all...

I remade the two articulations, now forcing the chasing to note - since the two key switches are notes: C2 (Legato) and F2 (Pizzicato).
Here is a video that shows the details:

You can see that Chase is enabled in my preferences.

But now, you realize that the chase is not working, that is, if I play and stop a "legato" part and then I play in the MIDDLE of a "pizzicato" part, Cakewalk will not play the pizzicato.

What now?

Try setting the velocity of the articulation notes in your Chase Mode Notes to something other than 0.  In the latest version of Cakewalk, that I'm using, the velocity of notes you add defaults to 100.  Might be worthwhile to update Cakewalk if you are not on latest version.

Some sample library instruments will interpret a note with velocity 0 as "Note Off".

Edited by Steve Harder
  • Thanks 1

You are right about the velocity! Thank you.

However, I figured out the most essential thing:

In order for the reproduction to touch the correct articulation, I have to EXTEND the articulation mark everywhere it belongs.
To tell you the truth, this is even better, as I will visually know which key switch each part belongs to, maintaining a more documented and intuitive design.
Thanks a lot for the help!

LtHXqxfbG6.png

13 minutes ago, Rogério said:

However, I figured out the most essential thing:

And as you work with artic maps for other sample libraries you will find that the "most essential thing" can be different.

Your find of extending "everywhere it belongs" is needed by your current sample library.  But I use little blips of artic maps in other libraries like VSL Synchron and they work fine.  So you do end up creating slightly different work habits for each sample library.  

But at the end of the day artic maps are great for navigating complicated libraries and for documenting what you have done.

Here's a project using VSL BBO Eridonus which has lots of riffs and effects.  I would go nuts returning to this project after a couple of months if I didn't have all the artic maps to document what was going on.

image.thumb.png.fc923b35bc88846f5d88838ec66950da.png

• Like 1

Rogério

I just put 2 and 2 together and discovered you are the author of HumanizePlus cal.  

Can you point me towards resources that will help me understand the basics of Cal?  I am fluent in several programming languages, I've wanted to jump into Cal and I now have a couple of specific tasks that I'd like to accomplish with Cal.  I'd like emulate a couple of the functions in Cubase Logical Editor that I can't find existing Cal files for.

14 minutes ago, Steve Harder said:

Can you point me towards resources that will help me understand the basics of Cal?

CAL is a dumb LISP ...

Horrible to learn, lack of documentation, the one that exists is weak and outdated.
There are apparently no plans to implement another scripting language within Cakewalk.
I suffered a lot to understand the bizarre logic of this language and overcome its various limitations.

I also forgot how it works, because I only made these scripts years ago and never touched them again.

But I think you  can learn something here: http://anythingpeaceful.org/sonar/cal.html

9 hours ago, Steve Harder said:

Rogério

I just put 2 and 2 together and discovered you are the author of HumanizePlus cal.  

Can you point me towards resources that will help me understand the basics of Cal?  I am fluent in several programming languages, I've wanted to jump into Cal and I now have a couple of specific tasks that I'd like to accomplish with Cal.  I'd like emulate a couple of the functions in Cubase Logical Editor that I can't find existing Cal files for.

The original site this came from has unfortunately gone, but I've got a copy of it here:

https://msmcleod.co.uk/cakewalk/Cakewalk Application Language Programming Guide.pdf

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, msmcleod said:

The original site this came from has unfortunately gone, but I've got a copy of it here:

Thanks for that link.  I will never become a guru.  My first step will be finding existing Cal that accomplishes tasks similar to my goal, then modify if possible.  Lots of voodoo and workarounds in Cal.

16 hours ago, Steve Harder said:

I've wanted to jump into Cal and I now have a couple of specific tasks that I'd like to accomplish with Cal.  I'd like emulate a couple of the functions in Cubase Logical Editor that I can't find existing Cal files for.

Hopefully you wouldn't mind sharing the efforts here on the forum then, I'm a heavy CAL-consumer like a few others :) no programming languages at all. Wish there could be created a CAL corner in the Content forum.