UJam DEEP freezes Cakewalk

KWILD

Hi,

Someone can confirm that the following VST make freezes\crashes with Cakewalk (last build and even last  Early Access 2021.04) ?

https://www.ujam.com/drummer/deep/

The free trial works for 30 days without limits.

I've tested also on Studio One 5.x and with NI Kontrol Standalone, and freezes in the same way,

so is not a Cakewalk fault, but i wanted to share some opinions regarding the issue.

Thanx in advance.

Edited by KWILD

What graphics drivers are you using?

Not saying this is the issue, but I remember a while back I had issues with Jamstix and my laptop's NVIDIA card.  Forcing Cakewalk to use the onboard Intel graphics completely solved it for me.  Might be worth a try.

You could also try running dxdiag  ( Windows Key + R, type dxdiag, then press enter ) - this will show up any possible problems with your DirectX setup. If UJAM uses DirectX for graphics, any problems highlighted here might explain the crashes.

But regardless, you should report it to UJAM.

Sorry, but the issue is not related to Cakewalk only, i've made this post just to ask if someone can reproduce the issue, i've already contacted Ujam support

and i will post on the Presonus Studio One forum (the other DAW i use, affected by the same problem) soon with the same request.

So for the moment i just need to gather informations regarding the "reproducibility" of the problem on other systems and other DAWs (in this case Cakewalk),

then i will send all to UJam.

Anyway, my GPU is a NVIDIA GTX1080 with latest drivers (but even with previous versions nothing changes), and i don't have an onboard GPU on my system,

Ryzen 3700X don't have an inbuild GPU and neither my MSI X-570-A Pro mobo.

No problems  from DXDIAG.

Edited by KWILD

Definitely please mention Cakewalk as well amongst other daws. I don't have Deep but I had some UI related issues in other Ujam instruments in Cakewalk and let them know. They did acknowledge they received my report but didn't fix anything as of yet just because of too small user base, they say (maybe using other words).

One particular issue I have is when you want to change the project tempo in Cakewalk using the spinbox (is that a term?) - the tiny +/- buttons next to the tempo input box on the right. Once you place mouse between the '+' and '-' so the cursor turns into an up/down double arrow, it freezes a part of the Ujam's GUI, most likely the upper part where you have some buttons with hidden settings, like Micro Timing.

Edited by chris.r

Chris, thank you for your comment, i would suggest to use the Ujam plugins using a VST Host inside Cakewalk, such as Plogue Bidule, Blue Cat Patchwork or even the NI Komplete Kontrol (works even withou a NI product) maybe they will work better.

• Thanks 1

Yesterday i've uninstalled Ujamm Deep, and reinstalled from scratch, everything was working fine, i've tested Cakewalk with the VSTi for more than 30 minutes

without any crash.

Today i try to open the test project saved yesterday that includes the Ujam Deep VSTi and...crash!

The first time i've received the cakewalk pop up error to create the dump, now when i try to open the project, at the end of the loading

the GUI of Ujam Deep with the evaluation pop-up appear but then Cakewalk crashes and closes without any error message.

Of course loading the project pressing shift and without loading Deep, the project is it opened correctly.

Attached dumps.

Orme_April_2021_2_04222021_192142.dmp

Edited by KWILD

Its crashing in the plugin not Cakewalk so this isn't something we can investigate. Please contact the vendor and give them the dump file.

Unhandled exception at 0x00007FFB4786E5DE (VD-DEEP.dll) in Orme_April_2021_2_04222021_192142.dmp: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x0000000000000018.

I've sent the dump to Ujam, In any case now the plug works without any issue with Studio One, even reloading a project that contains Deep.

In Cakewalk you can use the plug for hours without any crash but every time you try to load a project with Deep, Cakewalk crashes and 

without the crashdump file process, it just close!

I've tried to create (and save) several new projects with only Deep, but nothing, it just close Cakewalk soon after the opening without any error or crashdump.

13 hours ago, G. Holt said:

Deep has been working consistently for me in cakewalk. Haven't figured out how to create separate tracks for the drumset yet.

Do you have tried to save a project which contains Deep and then re-open it? Which version of Cakewalk are you using? Which build of Windows 10?

Thank you.