Turn off Velocity Sensivity - MIDI Controller

lucas98cp

I just purchased a MIDI controller which works great in other apps when I can turn that off. How do I do that in Cakewalk? I bought it to improve my covers and the velocity sensivity being uneven makes it really hard to play drums on keyboard, for example.

Thanks!

Does the hardware manual give you any clues? In older gear, the velocity curve setting was a function of the hardware. Not sure if this changed.  If the gear has a command (such as a sysex string) to change the controller's velocity curve remotely, you could enter that in Cakewalk's event editor.  

Another option might be to use an MFX [Midi FX] plug-in, such as a velocity compander or a multi-parameter compander. So, if you want to squish all velocities to 88, you can set a very limited range.

Edited by User 905133
to add a link to the description of Variorum's Velocity Compander
  • Like 1

This is it, it's not really up to the DAW, it's the controller that has settings to adjust the velocity. My Roland I choose the Velocity paremeter and then use the universal slider to go from full to none. It results in a midi velocity of 64 at none.  

But I only use that for Organ. Drums I defiantly want the velocity.  I just edit it in PVR if it's too much. This depends on the type of music and if you want real drums or a drum machine sound.  

• 1 year later...

To msmcleod …….  Hi there I read your response regarding velocity settings and see how it can be applied.   I have a few questions if you have time to respond.   I’d like to remove velocity during some songs when playing live.   I have my patches setup for my 2 midi controllers under folders.  Each folder represents settings for a given song.  

1) can I successfully apply the velocity setting against just one of the two controllers without affecting the other?  Say strings on one vs piano on the other?

2) would individual velocity settings defined in each folder remain isolated to just that patch group under the folder?

thanks very much - datakeepr 

1 hour ago, Brent H Cooke said:

To msmcleod …….  Hi there I read your response regarding velocity settings and see how it can be applied.   I have a few questions if you have time to respond.   I’d like to remove velocity during some songs when playing live.   I have my patches setup for my 2 midi controllers under folders.  Each folder represents settings for a given song.  

1) can I successfully apply the velocity setting against just one of the two controllers without affecting the other?  Say strings on one vs piano on the other?

2) would individual velocity settings defined in each folder remain isolated to just that patch group under the folder?

thanks very much - datakeepr 

I'm not in the position to try this out ( house being rewired at the moment, so I'm on  a minimal setup! ),  but in theory you should be able to do this by creating an extra two MIDI tracks, so:

1.  Create two MIDI tracks, one for each controller.
2.  Set the input of each track to only match the MIDI port / channel that each controller is on.
3.  Put the Velocity MFX on the track you want velocity fixed for
4.  Set the output of both MIDI tracks to the Synth you want to route it to.
5.  Enable MIDI echo on both MIDI tracks.

Note that the MFX applies the changes in real-time, so any MIDI data recorded will have the original velocities recorded. 

You can apply the velocity changes to the recorded clips by:

• Selecting the track by clicking on the track's number
  • From the main menu, Process->Apply Effect->MIDI Effects
  • If you want the velocity effect to apply to further MIDI input, uncheck the "Delete Effects from rack" checkbox
  • Click OK on the dialog