Melodyne 4

brandon

Question

Please correct me if I am wrong. The version of Melodyne that comes with CbB is Essential. I understand what this plugin can do. I do however have a few questions in relation to it.

1) If I don't immediately activate it I find that I cant open it in an FX bin on a track. Is this correct?

2) When I 'mark' a region of an audio track then highlight that track and click Region FX  I can click on Melodyne which duly opens up but there is no audio in it. Have I done something wrong?

3) How long is the demo period for is it 30 days?

4) Is there a UK upgrade cost if I want to purchase it after the demo period is over? 

5) Has anyone paid for the full version and is it worth doing? i.e. are you using it as much as you thought you would?

6) Finally, and this is the thing I am curious about... If I played 4 bars of acoustic guitar strumming a G chord could I copy those 4 bars but then raise or lower the pitch so that a different chord is played i.e. from a G to an A or a G to an F for example and construct a song simply by strumming one single chord? (I dont plan to do this by the way I am simply using this to gauge its capabilities).

Thanks in advance to all Melodyne users.

4 answers to this question

Hi brandon,

I can't answer your questions regarding the demo period of Melodyne, but I did purchase the full version (Studio) and with its feature set has made audio correction a pleasure for me.  I do use it on almost every project so it has been worth the investment for me.

Kind regards,

tecknot

The version of Melodyne that comes with CbB is the trial version, not Essentials. 

IIRC, during the trial it behaves like Melodyne Studio Edition. I believe the trial period is 30 days.

At the end of the trial, Cakewalk functions that use Melodyne will continue to work (e.g. Audio to MIDI, tempo extraction), but you can't use the editing features in a region FX unless you purchase a full version ( e.g. Essentials, Assistant, Editor or Studio ).

This page gives an overview of the differences:
https://shop.celemony.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/CelemonyShop

1 minute ago, msmcleod said:

The version of Melodyne that comes with CbB is the trial version, not Essentials. 

IIRC, during the trial it behaves like Melodyne Studio Edition. I believe the trial period is 30 days.

At the end of the trial, Cakewalk functions that use Melodyne will continue to work (e.g. Audio to MIDI, tempo extraction), but you can't use the editing features in a region FX unless you purchase a full version ( e.g. Essentials, Assistant, Editor or Studio ).

This page gives an overview of the differences:
https://shop.celemony.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/CelemonyShop

With regard to your final question, I think you need at least Editor edition to do polyphonic editing. 

In saying that, as long as you're not changing from major to minor chords, and you don't need to edit individual notes, you might get away with using Groove Clips within Cakewalk... it probably won't sound as good as Melodyne though.