Roland TD11 Cakewalk not working as MIDI controller

darkk armasoul

Question

New to Cakewalk. Trying to record MIDI in Cakewalk, USB plugged in to Roland TD11 drum module directly, selected MIDI input as TD11, Windows 11 told me drivers installed. When I strike the drums Cakewalk seems to not recognise it all all. Tried using a drumkit VST and also out of curiosity a basic keyboard, both make noise when I manually draw in MIDI but drumkit not being recognised. Do you have to have an audio interface, it seems to recognise that the Roland is plugged in fine. 

5 answers to this question

The Roland will have a Midi USB driver. Install this first following the instructions carefully 

go to preferences/ midi / devices and make sure the Roland is checked as an input device 

insert a midi track and choose the Roland as the input Omni 

now you can record a midi performance as you play along with the metronome a guitar track etc 

Depending on your audio interface driver if you try to use a VST drum kit via Input Echo you may hear a tiny delay.
this I due to latency of the system  All systems have a degree of latency  

I always play using the headphones output of my drums module so it’s tight. There is no delay from the module. 
Mine has a Aux input that I run the headphones from my interface to so I can hear the playback from Cakewalk.

I always record the midi and then i can edit and quantize. I can then use a VST drum  kit or run the midi back to the module and then record the audio output   Sometimes I use both. 

Edited by John Vere

On 1/17/2021 at 12:34 AM, John Vere said:

I always record the midi and then i can edit and quantize. I can then use a VST drum  kit or run the midi back to the module and then record the audio output   Sometimes I use both. 

I am trying to do exactly this, but the midi track is not triggering anything in the Roland module.

I recorded midi using the Roland midi out into my audio/midi interface into Sonar.  It recorded fine.  Now I want to send the midi back to the TD-11 and record the audio.  But I’m getting dead silence.  Since there is no Midi In connection on the TD-11 so I’m using the USB port.  Sonar recognizes the USB and allows me to assign the output to the TD-11.  But when I play the track nothing happens.  No sound whatsoever.  Any ideas?

The default for the MIDI input is Channel 10  - TD11 (Omni should work also). Set the MIDI output to TD11. If you have MIDI recorded on the track it should play through the headphones. If you want to audio record it, run cable(s) from the Aux output into your interface.

You can also use the TD11 as an interface and record directly. In ASIO, you will have to deselect any other Audio drivers (input and output) and select the TD11 for both. (In Preferences / Audio / Devices). You should then be able to record audio. 

If you want to record audio from your MIDI track, just add an audio track, set the input to TD11,  record arm it,  and press play.

Seems obvious but did you connect the audio outputs of the module to your interface?  
Or as @parboo12 is saying possibly the Roland has a ASIO driver and transmits digital audio over the same USB connection as the Midi. 
Seems the only connection you would need is the USB if so. 
And hopefully you are reading the manual for instructions on setting it up