IKM AT 5 vs AT 4

telecode 101

This is a quick mockup comparison between the two using the Fender Clean 1 with stock compressor and opto tremolo. There is a slight volume gain in AT 4 which I had to bring down by a few notches to get the gains to sort of match.  No other FX were used. The file is 48k, 24bit. Download enabled in case anyone wantrs to analyze the raw file.

FWIW.. I am hearing a slight difference and my ears are bad. But my understanding is the CS version does not use all the same sample resolution as SE, so I need to wait for SE to work it see if there is any actual difference between this amp sim between versions.

Edited by telecode 101
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, DeeringAmps said:

More "grit" to my ears with AT5.

t

and thanks for taking the time!

If you hear more grit in AT 5, then I think it has more grit. 🙂

I just uploaded the revised version of the same track with the SE supposedly authorized. So the first version should be AT 5 CS and the second one is AT 5 SE.

The if I understand the IKM marketing mumbo jumbo, Amplitube 5 CS has  16 impulses per speaker and Amplitube 5 SE has 600 impulses per speaker. I can't hear the difference. Maybe its my setup or the sims i am using or the my ears are shot.

I am also finding unusual limitations(or bugs?? )  with the Amplitube 5 SE version.  😞

3 minutes ago, telecode 101 said:

or my ears are shot

Yours and mine both!
But, pretty sure I could "guess" in a double blind test which is 4 and which is 5 (at least in this demo).
Obviously, the same "settings", aren't the "same" settings; minor thing really, but good to know.

I'm d/ling 5 now, my DI thingy is supposed to be here today...

t

7 minutes ago, telecode 101 said:

also finding unusual limitations(or bugs?? )  with the Amplitube 5 SE version

well that's not good news, but it is the first release

1 hour ago, DeeringAmps said:

Yours and mine both!
But, pretty sure I could "guess" in a double blind test which is 4 and which is 5 (at least in this demo).
Obviously, the same "settings", aren't the "same" settings; minor thing really, but good to know.

I'm d/ling 5 now, my DI thingy is supposed to be here today...

t

well that's not good news, but it is the first release

The Z-tone DI is really good. Very sturdy. Not sure what sort of music you do, I do weird rootsy stuff and use lots of lapsteels and mandolins  as well. The DI works real well and is a huge improvement over the previous DI  I was using.

• Like 1