IK Multimedia Equal free for BPB readers

Finnbogi Ragnar Ragnarsson

My T-RackS management process is to move my unregistered ones to a folder not scanned by any of my audio (or video) software, then as I acquire licenses for them, move those back to the appropriate folder.

I found out the hard way that the new install/authorizer doesn't re-download plug-ins that it thinks I already have installed, so I just keep them in quarantine until they're licensed. PITA, but IK Multimedia flows so much great stuff for free that I'll spot them a bit of hassle.

BTW, while I do like that the VST3 spec calls for a centralized canonical install location, I don't like that I now have no easy way to separate VST FX from VSTi's. With VST2's, I have 2 folders, VSTInst and VSTFx, so I can tell audio editors to only scan VSTFx and instrument hosts to only scan VSTInst (if I choose not to use my FX in them). This used to save a lot of time and hassle, not having VSTi's in an audio editor that can't use them. Sound Forge, my editor of choice, makes no distinction between FX and instruments, so every launch I get it churning away installing instruments it can't use.

• Like 1