Still using Sonar Platinum 2016.08 installed BandLab but missing features I use

jade

Still using Sonar Platinum 2016.08. I installed BandLab, but appear to be missing features I use. Too many to list but one example is VC-64 effect. Can they still be added?

Another question I have - is it possible to change when Sonar redraws all the waveforms? If I have a 2 hours recording and I want to delete a 20 second part I use split clips and then I have to wait 2 minutes before it finishes drawing and I can split the other end of the clip I am deleting.

Yes you can have all the VST's available in any DAW you install. You need to go to the plug in manager and add those folders to the pathways. Example all my 3rd party VST's I keep in Steinberg VST folder. 

https://help.cakewalk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360033405834-Using-the-Plug-in-Manager-

Most are found under C/ Program Files or C/ Program Files (x86)   then under Cakewalk or Steinberg. 

As far as a slow redraw that has nothing to do with the software and a lot to do with your Computers video card. A good gaming video card might speed that up. I have an old W7 laptop that takes forever to re draw simple 16 track songs. Same project on my i7 is almost instantaneous. 

Edited by John Vere

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply.

I already upgraded my video card to a GTX 1050 Ti but it didnt make any difference. Maybe its the speed of the disk drive?

It just seems that when I just split a clip first time that is not necessary to redraw all 2 hours.

I have to do this hundreds of times on a live 8 track recording..

Edited by jade

To answer the first part, as long as you keep SONAR installed you'll have access to every plugin that came with SONAR, including the proprietary ones that are explicitly tied to SONAR and can't normally be used in other DAWs. As far as the software is concerned, CbB is still SONAR.

The speed with which waveforms are redrawn isn't impacted by the video card, even if it's a fancy one like yours. The overhead is incurred while Cakewalk/SONAR scans the audio data to create a "decimated" (low-res) version that's saved in the picture cache. As you can imagine, it's going to take a while to go through a gigabyte's worth of data.

But you should only have to endure that process once, on import. If the only editing you're doing is splitting the clip and nondestructive slip-edits, that shouldn't require updating the picture cache. You don't actually have to physically delete those sections. For example, let's say you're separating a live recording into individual songs and eliminating the dead air and chatter in between. Just split the clip and use slip-edits to trim the two pieces. After that you can slide them along the timeline if necessary. These operations do not physically alter the underlying data, only how they are played back.

• Thanks 1

Hi BF, thanks for reply.

I can confirm that just using a split clip causes all the waveforms to update. I just thought of something, perhaps its because I have inserted EQ and reverb on tracks rather than processing them?

What I do is I record 8 live tracks of our band over 2 hours or so and then I have to do lots of editing because we have a minute or so between songs.

Edited by jade

A two hour project should be fine. There will be a small wait while all the waveform pictures are computed. It has to read every weave files on entirety to do this. Once it completes save the project and it will never need to compute the pictures again. Scroll through the full project to make sure it's finished generating the waveforms before saving.

And yes this is greatly improved in CbB compared to Platinum.

Thinking about this a little more...

@Noel Borthwick given the default is 20 MB couldn't a 2 hour 8 track project fill up the cache?

While I rarely work with large projects, I did recently had to edit a single 3 hour 48 kHz 24bit wav file that took 115 MB of cache.

33 minutes ago, jade said:

hanks Noel. I have doubled the pic cache without effect. It still seems to redraw after every action. I think it gets slower after the folder fills up with picture files?

Not sure what "double the pic cache" actually means.

I run a 500 MB cache.

I just increased it from default 500MB to 2000MB but no effect. I now think the number of files in the folder is causing the whole picture generation process to slow down..

Edited by jade

12 minutes ago, jade said:

Thanks Noel. I have doubled the pic cache without effect. It still seems to redraw after every action. I think it gets slower after the folder fills up with picture files?

Anyway this is the first track from our latest session.. :)

https://jademann4.wixsite.com/liveornothing/rehearsals

Are you using the latest build of CbB? I can't speak for Platinum

Using Windows Explorer delete all the files from the picture cache folder.

The next time any project loads, it will have to redraw.

If you have never done it before the cache was full.

Until CbB 2020.09 cache management was a manual process