Instruments Not Showing

Dean

On the back are the 1/4" TRS outputs that connect to either your powered studio monitors or in my case a Stereo Amp which drives my passive monitors. 

The big knob on the front controls the studio monitors level 

If you don't have a set of studio monitors put that high on your wish list :) 

You can use computer speakers in a pinch but you would need to plug them into the headphone jack of the Scarlett or purchase a special Y splitter cable.   

Just so you know, you cannot use your computers sound card at the same time as the Interface, all audio will come through the 2i2. 

Make sure to use the direct monitoring feature so you will hear your input without latency.  

MOSC0025_2.jpgMOSC0025_4.jpg

Edited by John Vere

Wow!  Thanks John,

I don't know if I understand your post totally.  But I have a Pioneer stereo receiver SX 650.  I have a cable from the AUX on the receiver to the green connector on the computer.  Then I  connected a 1/4 in TRS cable from the back of the Scarlett to the tape monitor 1 on the receiver and I have sound to my speakers!  Yippee!  I doesn't seem to matter which line output I plug the cable into.  They both work.  Also it doesn't seem to matter if I have the direct monitor button turned on the "o" or the "double oo".  It seems to be better with the direct monitor button off.  Granted, all I have tried to do was play a sample song from Cakewalk and import an audio file and play it.  I haven't tried recording with a mic yet.  Thank you very much!

Sounds like your almost there, Just 2 things. There are 2 output jacks because your going to need them both to have left and right sound to the amp. 

For your set up this takes two 1/4" to RCA cables.  You did the right thing using Tape monitor as that's a good impedance match for the Scarlett. And having the option to swicth back to the computer is a great idea. I used to do exactly this set up but now I don't use my on board sound at all, just the interface which seems to work for everything. I know some people have issues with this but I never have. 

And the direct monitor only matters for recording new parts. It allows you to hear what ever is plugged in directly which avoids system latency. It does not change the output. 

So that cable I have plugged in now is only giving me either the right or left channel depending on which one I have it plugged into?  

I will for sure get two of those cables.  If I want to record with a mic I can just plug it into 1 or 2 on the front correct with the two cables plugged into the back giving me a right or left mono channel correct?

Is that your site "cactus-studios/home"?

Thanks again!

So that cable I have plugged in now is only giving me either the right or left channel depending on which one I have it plugged into?   

Yes this is correct.  

If I want to record with a mic I can just plug it into 1 or 2 on the front correct with the two cables plugged into the back giving me a right or left mono channel correct?  

Correct. The way it works is the back outputs are going to receive the stereo output of your DAW and this is mixed with the input using the front control options.  The DAW output is controlled by how you have your Master buss set. In other words, if you pan your master bus left you'll only hear the left speaker playing the DAW material.  

When you plug a mike into channel 1( or 2 )and engage input direct monitoring that signal will be mono and heard in both left and right sides of headphones and speakers.  

Every interface is a little different and it is best to read this section of your owners manual to make sure your using the option correctly. As example without reading your manual for you I'm not sure what the 2 symbols mean on your direct monitor swicth. All of my interfaces have a balance control that allows you to blend the DAW output with the inputs in variable amounts. 

Edited by John Vere

So I will check out the manual on the Focusrite 2i2 on the direct monitor button.  The two cables worked.  I am using Cakewalk as my DAW. I have a Rode mic that I will try next making sure to turn on the 48v button.  Then I will explore how to hook up my Korg Wavestation EX.

Thanks againg!  You were most helpful.

I see the Wavestation is from 1991 so obviously will not have USB midi connectivity. Once again if you had bought the 4i4 it comes with Midi ports. All these little things add up. So next thing you're having to purchase 2 or 3 more devices just to connect what is in your studio when the correct interface might have included this. . That's why it's the highest item on my list of what to look for when purchasing an interface.  No big deal. Not sure where you bought it but a lot of places will allow your to exchange it. 

Johns Audio Interface blurb.rtf

Ok so someone buys a basic interface that has 2 inputs and 2 outputs and 1 headphone jack. Great if that's all they will ever use because they play guitar and sing.  

Then one day a friend comes over and , oh oh, Now I need 4 inputs  and another headphone jack.  Oh and he wants his headphones louder or he wants his mix different in the phones, And how about some reverb? 

Or you find yourself wanting to use an outboard synth but,, jeeze, now I'm swapping cables and having to re adjust my input gains all the time and wait a minute! I don't have any midi ports. 

How about a cool device that has SPDIF outputs ( CD, Mini disk or synth)  and how do I get that into my DAW? 

You get the drift. 

So as I say in my blurb. Before you buy an interface it is wise to sit and think about how you might use it and what your future plans might be. All the above situations are solved for me because I bought a Scarlett 6i6. 

So a  small mixer - $100 , a midi interface, $100  a SPDIF interface $100 and a headphone pre amp $100.  I'm putting a $100 price tag on each just as example. But that is easily $400 to get what I got for only $150 more than the cost of a 2i2 . Now they make the 8i6 which gives you even more than I got. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Scarlet8i6G3--focusrite-scarlett-8i6-3rd-gen-usb-audio-interface

So if where you bought it will exchange it for something like the 8i6 go for it.  

For you I see needing at least 4 inputs and the midi ports. so the 4i4 is only $70 more. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Scarlet4i4G3--focusrite-scarlett-4i4-3rd-gen-usb-recording-interface

Edited by John Vere

The 4i4 is here.  I have a Korg Wavestation EX.  I plugged in DIN cables from the EX "out" to "in" on the focusrite and "in" from the EX to "out on the focusrite.  Then from the focusrite "line outs "3" to the "right" connection on the "tape 1" of the stereo receiver and line "4" from the "focusrite to the "left" connection on "tape 1".   The green MIDI light blinks on the focusrite.  If I go into BandLab in "preferences"  then "MIDI" then "devices" in "input" I get "USB MIDI" with a check mark in the box.  In "Outputs" I get "Microsoft  GS  Wavable Synth" with a check mark in the box and "Focusrite USB  MIDI" Also with a check mark in the box.  Am I wired correctly?  Should I see something that says "WaveStation EX" there?  The "WaveStation" has "Local control" disabled. 

2 hours ago, Dean said:

Should I see something that says "WaveStation EX" there?

No, not when routing through an interface; just select the interface as the MIDI device.

2 hours ago, Dean said:

In "Outputs" I get "Microsoft  GS  Wavable Synth"

Use the Focusrite and make sure the Focusrite is using their ASIO driver.

Ya, uncheck the MS GS wavetable. You don't need that. 

Sounds like you have everything hooked up correctly now. 

But I think Greg is seeing what I'm seeing and your midi input should say "Scarlett 4i4 USB" so make sure you installed the latest driver and that ASIO is checked under Audio / Playback and recording. 

Go here and make sure everything you have is up to date. 

https://customer.focusrite.com/en/support/downloads?brand=Focusrite&product_by_type=1363&download_type=all

Thanks for the responses!

I unchecked the MS GS Wavetable.  I checked to make sure everything is up to date using the link.  By  "their ASIO driver" I'm assuming Focusrite's driver.  In "preferences" in "MIDI imput" it says "2-Focusrite USB MIDI" and in "Outputs" it says "2-Focusrite USB MIDI".  And "ASIO" is checked in "Audio / Playback and recording.".  I don't get anything that says   "Scarlett 4i4 USB".  In "Preferences" in "MIDI".  In "preferences" "MIDI" "Playback and Record" where it says "Driver Mode" it shows a gray box with" MME " but I can't change it.  In "Preferences" "Audio" In "Playback Timing Master" it lists "1:Focusrite USB ASIO Output 1"  and choice 2 " "2 :Focusrite USB ASIO Output 3".  In "Record Timing Master" it lists "1 Focusrite USB ASIO Imput 1" "2:Focusrite USB ASIO Imput 3" and "3:Focusrite USB ASIO Loop 1".  Whether any of this is relevant  I don't know.  I get no sound from the keyboard. 

Well John and Gregy, I can now do MIDI and Audio recording!  Thank you both so much!  I wrote down the procedures until they become second nature.  Now I just have to figure out why my Korg EX doesn't play the sounds that are on the display.

But right now I am Thrilled.  

How do I go to thread solved?  

2 hours ago, Dean said:

Now I just have to figure out why my Korg EX doesn't play the sounds that are on the display.

What display? On the keyboard or in the Cakewalk MIDI Track Pane?
If it's the keyboard, you may have Local Control Off, which disables the keyboard's sound module when the keys are played, so you don't hear the sound twice. Once from the Korg and again from the Korg being driven by Cakewalk. 
Glad you got some of it solved.
You can go to your first post and in the title bar, add 'solved', but you can never close the thread.

• Like 1

Yes all of your reported settings are correct. MME is the correct midi driver. 

Also you need to remember one important fact- Midi does not transmit audio. It is only the data sent by your keyboard. I'm pretty sure you are aware of this. To hear the audio of the keyboard you need to connect the audio cables to inputs 3/4 of the 4i4. The sound should come out of your headphones or monitors. 

You can confirm your keyboard is generating sound by plugging your headphones directly to the keyboards headphone jack. If you hear nothing then Gregy is telling you where you need to fix this in your Korgs settings. 

The display on the Korg.

So on the Korg I put "Local Control" to "enabled" and through the headphones plugged into the Korg I here the proper sounds.  That was exciting!  When I plug the cables into 3/4 I don't get the sounds from the Korg  the headphones or monitors.  Does the "Cakewalk by BandLab Reference " site  show the layout of BandLab?  I am looking for a switch called "Tape Monitor switch".

Again, Thank you!