Instruments Not Showing

Dean

There are no hits in the PDF reference guide for tape monitor. That is something you would find on a stereo receiver to monitor the tape input, hence the name. 😉
In Cakewalk's track pane is a button called Input Echo which allows you to hear what you're playing/recording while playing/recording.
Looks kinda like this:

input echo button.png

I just looked back at the post where you explain your hook up and I notice you have not connected the audio output of the Korg to inputs 3/4 of the 4i4> As I think I said earlier,  MIDI does not transmit sound, only data. To hear the sound from the Korg it needs to use audio cables. The sound will go into the 4i4 and be mixed with the DAW playback and then sent to the monitors or headphones. 

4i4 hookup.png

Edited by John Vere
  • Great Idea 1

Yes, John is correct. To hear the Korg sound module you will need to run audio cables from it to the Focusrite audio inputs, just like the guitar and microphone. The 4i4 will allow you to keep all of your audio connections connected at the same time. The MIDI cables will allow you to use the Korg as a MIDI controller to trigger virtual instruments in your DAW.

Thanks for the drawing!

So the only cable I have  is two RCA plugs to two 1/4" plugs.  I plugged those into the back of the Focusrite into 3-4 of the line outputs.  And I plugged the 1/4" 1L and 2R on the back of the Korg to 1 and 2 imputs on the front of the Focusrite.  I was able to here the Korg sounds whether I used an audio track or MIDI.  How exciting!  If I get a 1/4" to RCA stereo cable, I'm assuming it comes with two RCA plugs and one 1/4" plug, does it matter where I plug that in 3 or 4?  

Greg, I spent a good hour trying to find "tape monitor" yesterday.  And there it is just like you said.  Thanks for the imput echo info also.   

I should have been more precise with the drawing,  the 1/4" to RCA is two cables for most people. I just happen to have some that are welded together so I think of it as a Stereo cable, like the ones used for home audio systems.  but either way there are Two 1/4" TS ( unbalanced) jacks on one end and Two RCA jacks on the other. Seems you have that dialed in already.  

You should use the rear panel 3/4 inputs for the Korg as that is the better match for impedance. You can use the front jacks but the reason I was recommending a 4i4 over the 2i2 is those extra 3/4 inputs allow you to always keep the Korg plugged in. The front panel 1 and 2 jacks are normally used for your mike and guitar. 

Edited by John Vere

From Korg to focusrite to 3/4 line inputs.  From stereo to focusrite 3/4 line outputs.  In Cakewalk create an audio track.  Where input source I need to select Focusrite USB ASIO (3in, 2 out).  Then stereo or right or left focusrite USB ASIO input 3 depending on which I want.  That records the sound from the Korg and plays it back.

Thank you!

• 8 months later...
3 hours ago, Huzaifa Akbar said:

Hello.

I am having problem with opening drum kits. I open the instrument and then try to open drum kit but the drum kit does not opens.

PLEASE help me out.

to be precise having the same problem as Dean.

You need to start your own thread this is called Hi-jacking when you  post in someone elses thread. 

And when you do supply as much information as you can about what your trying to do and what your set up is, the more details the faster the correct answer. 

• Great Idea 1