Undo Redo

Airdog

Question

I'm new to Cakewalk. Most DAWs have an arrow or button to click to redo or undo a task. Eg, if you accidentally erased a track and you need to go back and restore it. In Cakewalk, is this process slightly more involved? I can't find any command button.  Many thanks.

6 answers to this question

In addition, check out Edit > History--where you can undo multiple tasks at one time.

I used Ctrl+Z to Undo a midi recording and an audio recording.  That put the history at <start>.  I then used the dialog to put all of the following back. Based on my quickie test, (1) saving a project retains the history, (2) closing/reloading resets the history.  

image.png.12c8fa557c8698ee8359ffc49934f48e.png

Esoteric PS: I just put the max undo levels to 999999999999 and upon re-opening the dialog, it was 2147483647. I have never used that many steps in one sitting; not sure it really goes that high; I do not have the patience to test that many edits-in-one-sitting.  Maybe someone who leaves Cakewalk open for days without shutting down their PC knows.  Not sure if that's a hard coded max or a function of memory.  But, more to the point, you can undo sequential tasks in reverse chronological order--including midi and audio recording.

Edited by User 905133
(4) to add a link to the online help; (3) to add an Esoteric PS; (2) to add an image and results of a quickie test; (1) changed "steps" to "tasks"

4 hours ago, Airdog said:

I'm new to Cakewalk. Most DAWs have an arrow or button to click to redo or undo a task. Eg, if you accidentally erased a track and you need to go back and restore it. In Cakewalk, is this process slightly more involved? I can't find any command button.  Many thanks.

Hi Airdog,

You can make a button in the Custom Module in the Tool Bar.

Kind regards,

tecknot