Softube Modular update has new sequencer module (no charge)

Vernon Barnes

Run Softube Central to update for free. This sequencer can be used for TR303 type sequences with ties and slurs.

Also new: Midi Step Sequencer

And there's even a brand new stock module to enjoy. The MIDI Step Sequencer gives control of sequences up to 64 steps, with note, rest, tie, and accent, as well as features like glide output and multiple sequence direction options. The MIDI Step Sequencer is included with purchase of Modular. Existing Modular owners need only update their plug-in version (using Softube Central, our all-in-one installer app) to get this addition for free.

There also a new module for sale Currently on a intro price of 29 Euros going to 39 later.  https://www.softube.com/vermona-random-rhythm#/

New to Modular: Vermona Random Rhythm – The mad scientist of sequencers

Modular is an ever-expanding ecosystem. We're delighted today to welcome not only a new module but a new partner brand to the family. The Random Rhythm module by Vermona is amongst the most exciting and creative trigger sequencers out there, combining chance with control in all the right ways.

It's a fun way to generate rhythms you might never think of, and layer them in ways that may never come naturally to mind, but which always sound smart and tight and intentional.

Edited by Vernon Barnes

Update - I have just been playing around with the step sequencer and its a lot of fun even in the basic patch I setup. It fulfills the role of a quick and easy to tune sequencer that was previously missing in Modular, you can certainly do TR303 type sequences and a whole lot more too.

My Saturation Knob works but the new Pro Channel presets for it seems to have two copies of the presets.  Not sure that's Softube or not though?  Could also be something specific to the early access version.  All the rest of the Softube Pro Channel plugins either crash instantly or draw bad/missing UI and then crash later.

Running CbB 2020.04 EA2, I only see one set of presets for the Saturation knob.

I ran the Softube update between EA1 and EA2

FET Compressor and TSAR-1R crash immediately on insert after a second copy of the QCEQ appears in the PC.

This may be a problem

BUGCHECK_STR:  APPLICATION_FAULT_NULL_CLASS_PTR_READ_INVALID_POINTER_READ
PRIMARY_PROBLEM_CLASS:  APPLICATION_FAULT
LAST_CONTROL_TRANSFER:  from 0000000000000000 to 000000002a2f8d64
STACK_TEXT:
00000000`0014f660 00000000`00000000 : 00007ffc`92edc4bf 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 00000000`2119c158 : FET_Compressor+0x4a8d64
BUCKET_ID:  APPLICATION_FAULT_NULL_CLASS_PTR_READ_INVALID_POINTER_READ_FET_Compressor+4a8d64

I was wrong, the pro channel presets has a last used section as well a the list of available.  With Saturation Knob the two lists are small enough to be the same, making it look like everything is double. 

So yeah I think all the Softube Pro Channel plugins that I have other than Saturation Knob are broken: Active Equalizer, FET Compressor, Focusing Equalizer, Passive Equalizer, TSAR-1R Reverb.  All the crashes are deep in the Softube plugins themselves.  I'd bet only Softube can fix this.

• Sad 1

I have not yet installed the early access and am on 2020.01 build 28.

I have no issues with the saturation knob in pro channel.

I made a project with three tracks and inserted an instance of TSAR-1R on each track and on the Master Bus. In all cases the GUI for TSAR-1R was hidden behind the consul module and it could not be adjusted. The project saved OK but it crashes Cakewalk to the desktop when reloading.

I don't have any other Softube pro-channel modules but It would appear its not related to the early release versions of 2020.04

Edited by Vernon Barnes

I have just contacted Softube support.

Yesterday I updated my Softube products to the latest version. (TSAR-1r version 2.4.96 (287594)) I am using Cakewalk by Bandlab 2020.01 build 28 on Windows 10 64 bit.

When Inserting a Pro-channel instance of TSAR-1R the interface is hidden in the pro-channel behind another module and it is thus impossible to change the settings. If I try to reload a project withTSAR-1R in the pro-channel Cakewalk crashes to the desktop.

On 4/19/2020 at 3:43 PM, scook said:

Yeah, I opened a ticket last Wednesday.

Hopefully the fix won't take too long.

My initial reply from Softube does not sound too promising basically saying they do not support Cakewalk and seems to miss the point it's the pro channel modules that are broken. The regular VST versions work just fine. I will respond later and I may open a ticket with Bandlab too as contact between the companies may help.

5 hours ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

I'm not surprised they claimed no support for Cakewalk.  However the pro channel feature is part of their product and they broke it.  My fear is their solution to breaking it will be to just remove it.

Their response lists Sonar as supported, but not Cakewalk by Bandlab. As Scook has confirmed the problem exists in Platinum maybe there is a glimmer of hope. I dont think I have any existing projects with TSAR-1R in the Prochannel (I do use it a bit inside Modular) so I may have dodged the bullet of not having critical projects open, but this could be serious if you use Softube Prochannel modules a lot. I started a thread upstairs.

I just bumped the thread upstairs as I have heard nothing more on this issue from Softube or cakewalk support. Safe mode will recover your projects and remove the offending modules from the Prochannel, They appear to behave correctly in the FX bin but of course you have lost all your settings.

• 3 weeks later...