Enhanced editing with keyboard - Why is it??

winkpain

I am moving this post here because it was buried deep down in the feedback for a release last summer. It has nothing to do with that release and has maintained through all CW versions that I can remember and continues to plague me:

After the years of suffering the confusion it causes and the in-depth weeding it out last year (by un-binding its default NUM 0 from key bindings), this "Enhanced editing with keyboard" function mysteriously started showing up again for me this week. For no apparent reason, this function is mysteriously re-engaging all of a sudden whenever I hit the NUM 3 (numberpad 3) keystroke, which I have always had bound to the Nudge Right one bar function since time immemorial.

When it happens, I go to press the NUM 3 key to do a quick nudge to the right, which I may have successfully done only minutes before in the same project, and instead the keystroke will engage Enhanced Editing, and pressing it again will not disengage it, unlike pressing NUM 0 in the default keystroke assignment. Then the only way out of this workflow-stopping, mind-boggling  "enhanced editing" state is to either "Zap all" key bindings and then press the re-established default NUM 0 to toggle on/off Enhanced Editing, or otherwise to close and reopen the project. However, then pressing (for me) the NUM 3 key again will only engage it again and only repeating the above will clear it. It started happening to me yesterday, I cleared it, re-imported my custom Key Bindings (with NUM 3 bound to Nudge) successfully only to then be working for a while and suddenly, with no editing of the Key bindings in the interim, NUM 3 is again engaging Enhanced Editing!

Does anyone use this Enhanced Editing function??

And why, oh why does it want to persist even when I "get rid of it"? 

And most importantly, even if all of the above is some isolated random craziness on my machine only, why is it a function that can only be turned on with a default key binding and is not otherwise configurable or controllable from the Menu (from the Edit menu, perhaps?) or in any other way?

For curious readers,  if you've not had the experience of the confusion it causes, just press the (number pad) NUM 0 key (provided it is on its default binding - achieved by "zapping all" and applying if you've changed it like I finally did) and go back to editing your session - clicking, cutting, pasting, inserting, trying to edit with the mouse.  A strange, slightly thicker cursor appears somewhere on one track only (which may even be out of your current view) and is the only indication that you are in this other editing mode and shows (if you happen to notice it) the new location where any of your inserts/pastes/etc. will take place no matter where you click your mouse!

Now imagine having hit that NUM 0 key inadvertently, and never having ever used this, or even heard of this "Enhanced editing with keyboard" function, being completely confused as to what is going on!  Bloody hell !

Funky setup indeed. I do wish I had not accepted the advice to install programs and plugins on a separate drive! It felt intuitively wrong at the time, but I thought I was being advised by someone more knowledgeable on the subject...

I take your point, @scook. I suppose it's likely at the root of all my weirdness, huh? Making Cakewalk behave like a schizophrenic  or a split-brain patient.

It is my intention, when finished the current large project - theater installation project for Times Square, NYC(!) deadline next week - to do a clean re-install of Sonar/CbB both onto the same (default C) drive in hopes of rejoining the land of the sane.

HOWEVER,  my main issue has nothing to do with my quirky setup. The obscure Enhanced Editing with Keyboard function tied to the NUM 0 key by default  and no other way to control it seems a bit wonky. I know of no other functions, certainly nothing that radically changes the way CW behaves like this one does, not accessible with menu choices, preference settings, context menus, etc. It doesn't even show up in the Key Bindings window search function: type "Enhanced Editing", nothing shows up. Only if you know to look for it, or even what to look for, will you see that NUM 0 is reserved for its function (even though I have somehow overridden that and bound NUM 0 to something else). Like I said, it took me years to root it out.

Anyway, I say all this is for the few who may wander innocently into this particular quagmire so that they can find their way out! Most apparently do not. I certainly hit the NUM 0 key inadvertently all the time given my use of the number pad. This is for the others who do too...

19 minutes ago, winkpain said:

Anyway, I say all this is for the few who may wander innocently into this particular quagmire so that they can find their way out! Most apparently do not. I certainly hit the NUM 0 key inadvertently all the time given my use of the number pad. This is for the others who do too...

Thanks to your heads up post yesterday, I looked up the NUM 0 and related functions, so if I ever see that mysterious line in a track (and maybe some other oddities), I will know how to turn that mode off.  Thank you for alerting us!

• Like 1