Does Anybody Know What Asset Files Are?

I guess this would be a question for a programmer.

I upload my work to a cloud storage service.  I re downloaded a project recently and it came back OK but it was loaded with files with the extension .assets.  They seem to be duplicates of the .cwp files in the main folder.  I can't open these asset files.  I don't have the app needed for them (whatever that is).  I asked IDrives tech support why they are being generated.  I sent him one for analysis and he said they are generated by the Cakewalk app.  All I need to know is can I get rid of them without adversely affecting the .cwp files which seem to open OK.  

Thanks

John B😀

11 minutes ago, Johnbee58 said:

. . . files with the extension .assets.  They seem to be duplicates of the .cwp files in the main folder. 

Did you do a binary comparison of the *.cwp and *.assets files using the MS-DOS File Compare tool?

FC *.cwp *.assets /B

FC [d:][path]filename [d:][path]filename [/A][/C][/L][/Lb n] [/N][/T][/W][/(number)]

or (for binary comparisons)

FC [d:][path]filename [d:][path]filename [/B][/number]

Purpose: Displays the differences between two files or sets of files.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

Did you do a binary comparison of the *.cwp and *.assets files using the MS-DOS File Compare tool?

FC *.cwp *.assets /B

Thanks.  I'll give this a try.

🙂John B

Apple storage is weird. Have you ever lent a Thumb drive to a buddy who uses a Mac? It will come back with 3 new folders added. My guess is you can safely delete the asset files. They will still be on the cloud server anyways. 

• Thanks 1

i believe the asset files were something in a version of CbB and then in a subsequent version were no longer used. so some projects may have them. but as far as i could tell there was no detriment to removing the them.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, pwal³ said:

Rather than users guessing

There is that, but @Glenn Stanton is actually correct.  @Johnbee58 you can safely delete the asset file, or just leave it there.
EDIT: John check the folders you have uploaded, I suspect that they contained the "assets" folder (or was it an extension; I did
a quick check and can't find any old projects that still have them).
If this is happening only in the projects that contained the "assets" folder (or extension) then you can safely delete them
before uploading to IDrive.

One more EDIT: Did a deeper dive. it is an extension! IE: project_name.cwp.assets; you can safely delete it!
The project was dated 2015. X2, maybe X3 back them?

If Steve Cook was still around, he would have set us straight by now; we miss you @scook!

t

Edited by DeeringAmps
  • Like 2

Thanks all.  The strange thing is that I don't see these files before I upload them to IDrive, only after.  At first I thought it was something the IDrive app was adding but the tech support guy said no.  It's Cakewalk.  I'm gonna delete them.  They just cause too much confusion in the final storage.

Thanks again

😀John B

There's still one little mystery though.  Why did these file only become visible after they were uploaded to a cloud storage service?

I didn't see them before I put them up there.  And they are NOT Hidden. They're out in the open.

Not worrisome anymore but something a bit more to ponder for those who like to solve mysteries. 😁

😀JB

On 6/15/2024 at 4:49 PM, DeeringAmps said:

There is that, but @Glenn Stanton is actually correct.  @Johnbee58 you can safely delete the asset file, or just leave it there.
EDIT: John check the folders you have uploaded, I suspect that they contained the "assets" folder (or was it an extension; I did
a quick check and can't find any old projects that still have them).
If this is happening only in the projects that contained the "assets" folder (or extension) then you can safely delete them
before uploading to IDrive.

One more EDIT: Did a deeper dive. it is an extension! IE: project_name.cwp.assets; you can safely delete it!
The project was dated 2015. X2, maybe X3 back them?

If Steve Cook was still around, he would have set us straight by now; we miss you @scook!

t

Hey T, if you don't mind my asking... what happened to @Scook?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DeeringAmps said:

I don’t know, I’ve never seen it discussed. 
Or more correctly, I’ve never seen it explained.

t

Oh wow, He was always so helpful to me, and everyone else here too.  Thanks for replying.  I hope he's ok.

• Like 1