Cakewalk now exclusively available through BandLab Membership

cclarry

4 hours ago, husker said:

We DAW users (or more probably, the human race) are good about complaining about things.  I moved to Cubase after the Sonar for Life debacle, and watched users give Steinberg hell for the ELicenser.   Then get more hell when they moved to the the current authorization method.  

The plus side is can be installed on 3 machines.  No need for 2nd license and 2 dongles.

Not a fan of trying to compare software to food.  I'm a diabetic so I basically make my own meals.  You need food but sometimes when it comes to software......shiny and new is hard to avoid meanwhile a new version of a fast food offering is quite easy to avoid.

full disclosure

I paid for the backstage ticket

specially when they said 30 percent off was as good as it gets

so now I have a year of sonar, and backstage name tag

still can't eat at the buffet, but do get to stand in line to get a fist bump from the bass player

I record with cbb or sonar nearly everyday

I understand you all have your vibe and what not

so

then there was a thread about AI

I'm going to post everything I have recorder to that backstage thing

don't really care

I could use 2 boom boxes and headphones for a mic

and it will alll be the same, when i can't even affford that I'll just sing anyway

but yes I get it change, FI

oh, and my next song in the song forum is a collaboration with Freddy

• Great Idea 1

2 hours ago, Doug Rintoul said:

Can't find anything directly from Acoustica but Mixcraft Pro supports integrated Melodyne and the Celemony site says that Mixcraft is one of the DAWs that support ARA.

https://www.celemony.com/en/10-years-of-ara

That's what I was looking for. I guess I should have looked on Celemony's web site. Now I know all DAWs rhat support it. It is much easier/nicer to use Melodyne in an ARA window. Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

25 minutes ago, Jacques Boileau said:

That's what I was looking for. I guess I should have looked on Celemony's web site. Now I know all DAWs rhat support it. It is much easier/nicer to use Melodyne in an ARA window. Thanks!

Act now and you can get a license for Mixcraft 9 and some nice Cherry Audio synths in this Humble Bundle for $20.

License can be upgraded to 10.5 for $29 or to 10.5 Pro for $79. But 9 is pretty great, too, and comes with some nice non-locked plug-ins (and some that are locked, as well).

That's the regular price, they periodically have sales.

Mixcraft 10.5 Pro comes with the Cherry Audio DC-106, which is a great Juno 106 clone, my current favorite new toy.

I was on their beta team from version 7 through version 9 and will testify to their excellence regarding software QA. There may be deferred feature requests, but bugs get hammered very quickly.

I was surprised to see that it's now been around for 20 years. Great program, really.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Jesse Screed said:

full disclosure

I paid for the backstage ticket

specially when they said 30 percent off was as good as it gets

so now I have a year of sonar, and backstage name tag

still can't eat at the buffet, but do get to stand in line to get a fist bump from the bass player

I record with cbb or sonar nearly everyday

I understand you all have your vibe and what not

so

then there was a thread about AI

I'm going to post everything I have recorder to that backstage thing

don't really care

I could use 2 boom boxes and headphones for a mic

and it will alll be the same, when i can't even affford that I'll just sing anyway

but yes I get it change, FI

oh, and my next song in the song forum is a collaboration with Freddy

FaltyTowersManuel.thumb.jpg.e51eca5e1b4cfeb7bbc91b04acb1dcf7.jpg

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Act now and you can get a license for Mixcraft 9 and some nice Cherry Audio synths in this Humble Bundle for $20.

License can be upgraded to 10.5 for $29 or to 10.5 Pro for $79. But 9 is pretty great, too, and comes with some nice non-locked plug-ins (and some that are locked, as well).

Just be aware that it is only the pro version of Mixcraft that supports an integrated Melodyne and thus probably ARA. The Humble Bundle version is not the pro version.

• Like 2

Thanks for the input guys. I think Mixcraft seems a viable alternative and reasonably priced. But now that CbB remains available for, hopefully a while, I will keep using it for now. But at least I now know that there are good alternatives if the need arrises down the road.

Although I would enjoy the new Sonar and all the new features to come, CbB does the job fine as it is and I have no use for the other Bandlab services in what I do. So the subscription is not really for me. In any case, I would rather be a better musician than have a better DAW! 🙂

• Like 1

On 6/14/2024 at 12:27 PM, Jim Roseberry said:

Mastering" and Delivery options are worth the cost.

Totally agree on that. I wish I found Studio One useable for everything, but I simply don't get it most of the time. Trying to translate my "Cakewalk" brain after 30 years of it makes it harder than if I just came into it from scratch. But for sure the Mastering and Delivery options are of great use to me. 

• Like 1

I am curious what new features and improvements have been implemented in the new Cakewalk Sonar; I would consider the subscription if there was enhanced value vs. continuing to use CbB or trying (again!) to master Studio One. Any folks that can tell me what they appreciate most  about the new  (subscription-based) version, I'd love to hear from you.

3 minutes ago, Sergio said:

No DAW subscriptions for me. I'll keep using CbB

I totally understand, and it appears that locking CbB is not eminent; stay with it!
I am locked into the eco system and feel it is in my/our own best interest to support the move forward. I could use Reaper IF I had to. Why, Sonar is alive and well, and is the “best” fit for me. Would I purchase Sonar? Yup, in a New York minute! I would have purchased the Backstage Pass when it was 30% off, but for some reason because I already had a monthly subscription it wouldn’t work. Vie La vie…

t

Another New Article released  2 days ago ( thurs 15th ) on Bandlab technologies about Sonar/Next status. 

https://bandlabtechnologies.com/news/cakewalk-software-exclusively-available-bandlab-membership/

Cakewalk, a historic and pioneering name in digital audio workstations (DAWs), is excited to announce that Cakewalk Next and Cakewalk Sonar have exited public beta and are available worldwide exclusively through BandLab Membership. 

BandLab Membership provides a base offering of artist services like music distribution, fan engagement tools and promotional opportunities. Additionally, Members also enjoy early access to exclusive new tools and features from creation to social. Cakewalk Next and Cakewalk Sonar are proud to be the first off-platform additions to this exclusive set of creation capabilities available to the BandLab audience.

Through this integration, creators now have access to even more powerful tools tailored to their specific workflow needs, such as third-party VST support, unlimited tracks, and a 64-bit mix engine. This complements the existing capabilities of BandLab Studio, which remains free for all users.

This pretty much seals it .. as of now no perpetual?

Edited by aidan o driscoll

17 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

That's the regular price, they periodically have sales.

Mixcraft 10.5 Pro comes with the Cherry Audio DC-106, which is a great Juno 106 clone, my current favorite new toy.

I was on their beta team from version 7 through version 9 and will testify to their excellence regarding software QA. There may be deferred feature requests, but bugs get hammered very quickly.

I was surprised to see that it's now been around for 20 years. Great program, really.

Thanks for posting this way of getting Mixcraft.  I have never tried Mixcraft.  So I just spent the $20 for the Humble Bundle and got v9.  It's pretty nice.  I will upgrade to v10.5.  Thanks for a discount path for purchasing Mixcraft.

Nice to have this DAW as another alternative.  Really appreciate this advice!

C2

• Like 3

On 6/14/2024 at 12:50 PM, Bapu said:

Why not petition @azslow3 to say we need a CWP Converter (like this Reaper one by MOSS) for CbB/Splat to DAWProject format?

Someone suggested that MOSS created that in a very short time (hours or just few days). If MOSS and @azslow3 got together I would think in less than a week they could have a direct CWPtoDAWProject converter. I'd chip in $100 for the development of that.

Here's an update based on nearly two days of experimentation with ReaCWP and Project Converter attempting to take a MIDI only CbB project to Studio One. @PavlovsCat may be interested.

It required some manipulation after these steps:

1. Consolidate all MIDI tracks (not 100% sure this is necessary but a 'safety' step', Save song as well as Fabfilter C 2 VST3 settings as a preset. 10 minutes.

2. Open Reaper (with axslow3's ReacCWP plugin installed) and open Lasse's .cwp, Save a s a Reaper .rpp file. 2 minutes.

3. Open the free Project Converter (v1.2.2) and convert the sabed .rpp in step 2 to a DAWProject file. 2 minutes.

4. Open Studio One and open the DAWProject file. 3 minutes (Kontakt and Opus took some time to load). Now here is where the fun started.

4.1. Project temp was off (120, not 90) and the MIDI performed as such. So I went back to Cakewalk and saved the project in MIDI 1 format. 3 minutes.

4.2. Removed all MIDI in Studio one and replaced it with the output of the MIDI 1 saved file. 5 minutes.

4.3. Now the DAWProject file seemed to think that Kontakt and Opus were audio Fxs not instruments (that took some time to research). So, it created audio tracks with Kontakt and Opus as 'inserts'. As we know Studio One wants instruments in the Instrument Rack and then have instruments tracks feed their MIDI data to the respective instrument.

The conversion did create instruments tracks with the MIDI correctly. But they had no "instrument" to pint to.

Nothing played.

Thiis mishap is on Instruments is either azslow3 or moss (from the Reaper Forum) issue to be solved. I'll be taking it up with them.

Small issue is that although FabFilter C-2 (VST3) was in the Reaper project, and the guts of the DAWProject file creted by Project Converter knew about it, Studio one did not have Fabfiler C-2 VST 3 in it (not the VST version either). That too needs to be taken up with moss in the Reaper forum.

But here's the weird part. All instances of Kontakt and Opus do a send to EW Spaces II. Spaces II is in the .rpp and DAWproject files. And it's in Studio One after opening the DAWProject file with the correct settings.

Fortunately, the inserts of Kontakt and Opus (11 in all) were configured correctly. So, I simply dragged them to the instrument Rack and then pointed the instruments tracks to their correct instance of Kontakt and/or Opus. (20 is minutes or so).

Then I added Fabfilter C-2 VST3 and loaded the saved preset made back in Cakewalk. (1 minute)

The project plays "pretty much like the original wav file. I did not null test yet. I'd expect them to probably not null but I'd rather just trust my ears that it's good enough to start with if I were inclined to either edit/add to/remix the orchestra.

Knowing what I know now, it would take about an hour or so to do similar sided projects.

Hopefully azslow3 and moss can get their issues sorted out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1