Jump to content
Morten Saether

[CLOSED] Cakewalk 2019.11 Early Access

Recommended Posts

On 11/20/2019 at 4:36 PM, Morten Saether said:

Selection Handles Appear Unexpectedly Near Now Time after Deselect All.

Thank you for tracking this one down.

I am loving this release so far... Thumbs up on the Workspaces.  I don't know why but now it just works for me, unlike Lenses for which there must have been just enough "friction" to make them something I avoided. Now... it's like, this is how it is supposed to work. I've defined my own Workspace and it feels great.

I'm definitely noticing ASIO changes. There's been a couple of times today when I experienced a stuttering in mid playback but I'm convinced this would normally have been an Audio Dropout Toast situation. I suspect this is the auto-audio-engine-restart because it has never happened before this EA release. (Yes, it's the Layla, Noel, so I don't count this as something to investigate :-))

Otherwise, smooth as silk. Nice.

On the downside, one thing I have noticed is that the Start Screen seems to take much longer to populate with recent projects. Any reason why this might be so?

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No changes to the start screen so not sure why you would see a difference.

Regarding midi please try raising your midi buffer size to about 50msec and see if it improves performance. We're still experimenting with the new defaults.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

midi chase function still has a bit of problem in this version.midi cc chase from muted clip has been fixed but muted track issue still exist.

1.midi chase won't work if there's two tracks assigned to the same channel ,and one of the track is muted.

Expected :the muted track should not affect the midi chase function in other track.

Actual:  the midi cc chase function in both track won't work.it no longer sending the last midi cc value to vst.

repo:

1:add 2 tracks and assign them to the same channel.

2:draw some midi cc in both track.

3.mute one of the track.

4.midi cc stop chasing in another track.

 

2.midi chase issue with vienna ensemble pro

Expected :the midi tracks which are assign in different port in VE Pro but same channel,should not affect each other.

Actual:the midi cc chase function in both track won't work.it no longer sending the last midi cc value to VE Pro.

repo:

1:add 2 midi tracks,assign track 1 to VE pro  port 1 ,channel 1 ,assign track 2 to vepro port 2 ,channel 1.(both are in channel 1 but different port.)

2.draw some midi cc in both tracks.

3.midi cc stop chasing in both tracks.

I've attached the project file,it's easier to test these bug.

midi chase bug V2.cwpmidi chase bug V2.cwp

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see that my recent projects are not displayed right. I closed it without any crash, and then I opened and it was not first in recent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there any change to the automation node selection/deletion behavior?

I've described the issue here: https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/topic/7171-201909-feedback/page/6/&tab=comments#comment-77103

 

It would be great to at least find out how it is intended to work. Perhaps this is related to changes to comping?

Please provide a way to go back to the old behavior.

Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Too Bad . . . I was hoping that with the re-working of the Lenses feature towards the Workspaces feature there would be a resolution to a long standing issue I've always had since Lenses was introduced. 

I like to use Ctrl-TAB to toggle between Track View and Console View.  My workaround has always been when opening a project with both Track View and Console View active, you have to click on Lenses - None (even though None is already checked) Then, something magically flickers, and you're once again able to use Ctrl-TAB to toggle between Track and Console.

I won't call it a bug . . . more of a personal workflow choice, since I only have one monitor . . . but, if you save a project where Ctrl-TAB toggles properly between Track and Console . . . shouldn't it re-open again with the same behaviour intact ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Loving being able to change latency from Preferences rather than having to get the ASIO panel up.

I do notice with my Scarlett 8i6 1st gen (latest driver 4.63.24-564, firmware 608) that the lowest I can go is 16 samples, although 8 samples is available. If I choose 8, it simply resets to 16.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Installed EA without a hitch. I only ran it for a short while and tested the ASIO handling.  Just great - I was able to switch on the fly with an Apollo Firewire Silverface from preferences. That is a major biggie improvement - really nice. Looking forward to testing out other items tomorrow. The lowest the Apollo can go is 16.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Loving the new update so far.

Not sure if this is a bug but the new splitting across all lanes thing doesnt seem to follow the setting: "Selection after single split:".  and it only selects the left side despite what u choose in that setting (i have mine set to select the right portion).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, noynekker said:

Too Bad . . . I was hoping that with the re-working of the Lenses feature towards the Workspaces feature there would be a resolution to a long standing issue I've always had since Lenses was introduced. 

I like to use Ctrl-TAB to toggle between Track View and Console View.  My workaround has always been when opening a project with both Track View and Console View active, you have to click on Lenses - None (even though None is already checked) Then, something magically flickers, and you're once again able to use Ctrl-TAB to toggle between Track and Console.

I won't call it a bug . . . more of a personal workflow choice, since I only have one monitor . . . but, if you save a project where Ctrl-TAB toggles properly between Track and Console . . . shouldn't it re-open again with the same behaviour intact ?

I'm guessing you're working with a undocked window for the Console View? Do you have floating turned on for the Console View or not? 

I'd probably suggest using the Multidock to show/hide the Console instead in any case, which you can show/hide by toggling "d". Shift + d will also toggle the maximized view for the dock.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, PeterMc said:

Loving being able to change latency from Preferences rather than having to get the ASIO panel up.

I do notice with my Scarlett 8i6 1st gen (latest driver 4.63.24-564, firmware 608) that the lowest I can go is 16 samples, although 8 samples is available. If I choose 8, it simply resets to 16.

@PeterMc Yes the driver exposes 8 samples as a minimum but when we set it it rejects it. Probably an oversight from the manufacturer. I'll let Focusrite know. However they have the best implementation for allowing dynamic latency changes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, RBH said:

Installed EA without a hitch. I only ran it for a short while and tested the ASIO handling.  Just great - I was able to switch on the fly with an Apollo Firewire Silverface from preferences. That is a major biggie improvement - really nice. Looking forward to testing out other items tomorrow. The lowest the Apollo can go is 16.

@RBH good to know that it works with the Apollo. Do you get an active latency slider in Audio Preferences with the Apollo as well?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, JL said:

Loving the new update so far.

Not sure if this is a bug but the new splitting across all lanes thing doesnt seem to follow the setting: "Selection after single split:".  and it only selects the left side despite what u choose in that setting (i have mine set to select the right portion).

 

Well spotted - this has now been fixed for the general release.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the update, seems to work quite nicely all in all. Using the new latency slider crashes Cakewalk on my system, though. No exception dialog is shown, the UI just vanishes and the process dies. This is after I OK/Apply the change.

I'm using Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen with the latest drivers and also Sonarworks Studio Reference, the latest version, on Win 10 1903, with latest updates. I also have the Sonarworks VST in the project.

I have a crash dump I can deliver for post mortem examination... WinDbg analyze shows heap corruption (again).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Jonathan Sasor said:

I'm guessing you're working with a undocked window for the Console View? Do you have floating turned on for the Console View or not? 

I'd probably suggest using the Multidock to show/hide the Console instead in any case, which you can show/hide by toggling "d". Shift + d will also toggle the maximized view for the dock.

Yes, Console View is undocked . . . the way I have it set up, both "Enable Floating"  and "Dock in Multidock" for the Console View are greyed out (not available options)

I have all sorts of things already in the MultiDock, too many mouse clicks every time I want to switch to Console View docked . . . I'll just stick with my annoying workaround thanks . . . every time  I open a project, one mouse click on Workspaces - None and Ctrl-TAB works, until I open the project again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, petemus said:

Thanks for the update, seems to work quite nicely all in all. Using the new latency slider crashes Cakewalk on my system, though. No exception dialog is shown, the UI just vanishes and the process dies. This is after I OK/Apply the change.

I'm using Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen with the latest drivers and also Sonarworks Studio Reference, the latest version, on Win 10 1903, with latest updates. I also have the Sonarworks VST in the project.

I have a crash dump I can deliver for post mortem examination... WinDbg analyze shows heap corruption (again).

@petemus - can you confirm what exact version of the focusrite drivers you're using?

I've personally tried  4.63.23.563, 4.63.24.564 and the latest 4.64.15.598 beta - @Noel Borthwick has tried it with earlier drivers. These were on 1st gen / 2nd gen devices though, so it could be a 3rd gen issue.

Also, it's Sonarworks just running as a VST or is it also running in the tray icon?

It may be worth checking out the latest 4.64.15.598 beta drivers: http://beta.focusrite.com/releases/focusrite_usb2_drivers/ - the BSOD issues when changing buffer size have been fixed in this version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

@petemus - can you confirm what exact version of the focusrite drivers you're using?

I've personally tried  4.63.23.563, 4.63.24.564 and the latest 4.64.15.598 beta - @Noel Borthwick has tried it with earlier drivers. These were on 1st gen / 2nd gen devices though, so it could be a 3rd gen issue.

Also, it's Sonarworks just running as a VST or is it also running in the tray icon?

It may be worth checking out the latest 4.64.15.598 beta drivers: http://beta.focusrite.com/releases/focusrite_usb2_drivers/ - the BSOD issues when changing buffer size have been fixed in this version.

It's actually that latest beta driver. 😁  Sonarworks is running in my projects as a VST, which disables the Systemwide (which is always running as well). My settings force the Sonarworks Virtual Audio Device into use at all times. I've not experienced BSODs in a long time with Scarlett, which is nice.

I also experience terrible stuttering of Windows audio when setting the Scarlett's buffer to the larger ones. That's probably more of a Sonarworks issue, which I should report to them to get the situation remedied - they'd probably fix it for tomorrow, that's how responsive their support is. 😊 I have to switch to larger ASIO buffer sizes for mixing larger projects with Cakewalk, and then back to smaller to make the stutter go away, when using Spotify, Youtube or such..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...