Cakewalk saves the day.  

I use cakewalk a lot, Import an existing (variable tempo) audio file.  The intent is all other audio/midi tracks should follow the varying tempo of the imported "reference audio" track.  I want the DAW to use the tempo map of the imported audio for all subsequent tracks.

Cakewalk, with ARA and Melodyne essential, allows you to select an audio track or a clip from it, and drag and drop it on the tempo ruler;  Then it calculates a very accurate tempo map from it, and then I can set all other (imported) audio tracks to "follow project tempo"   

If I want to export the Tempo map that ARA/Melodyne created (drag n drop), the simple step is.  Select, drag and drop the audio track with the new tempo map just created, and drop that audio on a blank midi file, it will approximate the midi from the audio, and will incorporate the tempo map that was created from that audio track.  Next step is to select that midi track and "export as standard midi" then store it where you can find it.  Once that is done, exit CWbB.

Find the exported midi file, then tell it to "open-with"  and select CWbB.. CW comes up and populates 1 midi track, and if you check the temp-map list in the inspector, you will see the tempo varying map.  Now you're set to add midi, and audio, and force the extra audio to "Follow Project Tempo" and now everything is lined up.

The next test, with this exported Midi file, I should be able to "open with" Studio One, and it should come up with one midi track and populate the project tempo map of Studio One.  Perhaps this also works in Pro Tools. but in both cases, when those DAWs start, there should be no other thing there other than the midi file.  

NOTE:  you cannot import that midi file and have the tempo map extracted, it only works when you click the midi file, and 'open with' CWbB.  I tested this.  And also, a note, if you start an instance of CWbB, but let it stay blank (no audio/midi) tracks; then go to the file manager, and select the exported midi file, and 'open with' CWbB, it will still work, the CWbB session must be blank (you can have your busses, but NO tracks; empty.. 

Now, can I import the tempo map from the exported midi file created by CWbB and import it into Studio One.. will that work?  Stay tuned.  

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Arpeggio Blues said:

NOTE:  you cannot import that midi file and have the tempo map extracted, it only works when you click the midi file, and 'open with' CWbB.

True, but if you're only working with CbB, you can simply copy-paste tempos from one project to another. You don't have to jump through all those hoops.

EDIT: Also, you don't actually need to have any MIDI note events in the project to Save As .MID with tempo changes in order to transfer them to another DAW.

Edited by David Baay