Cakwalk support via remote desktop (TeamViewer)

George Thomas

Question

Hi,

I've been trying help a friend to set up his audio interface, cakewalk etc and show him the ropes. We use TeamViewer for remote access. All goes fine but the issue is that I can't hear any of the audio coming out of DAW while he plays or records. I need to export it to be able to listen to it. All other audio (i.e. youtube, media player etc) can be heard remotely at my end. He uses a Focusrite interface and I use a PreSonus Audiobox Go. Will appreciate pointers.

3 answers to this question

Sonobus. Exactly the tool for the job. Free! 

https://www.sonobus.net

What is cool is it’s both an App that can be installed on any computer or mobile device. It is also a VST plug in you put on the master bus. This uses you internet network to send the audio to any device anywhere in the house or the world.  Audio quality depends on bandwidth and settings.

I use it to send my mix to my cell phone the ultimate proofing device for a mix. 

Also unless you audio interfaces have Loopback I don’t think Cakewalk audio will be available to other apps 

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 1

I'll take a guess here that you have his Cakewalk set up to use ASIO (as you should, in general)?

The problem with that is that ASIO "steps outside" the sound system used by the OS so that the program and the hardware can talk more directly to each other. That's great, but it means that Windows can't route audio between programs if one of them is using ASIO.

In order to hear what's playing back in Cakewalk from his computer, you would need to switch to WASAPI Shared. That's not the best mode for regular use of the DAW, so only use that while you're showing him the ropes, then switch back to ASIO.

• Like 1