Insane volume drop midi plugin recording piano

Toby King

Question

Hi guys, so I recorded piano in a song with a nice plugin and was real happy until opening the project the next day and I hear no piano at all. If I raise the volume and gain an insane amount I hear it and I see the notes are still there and everything. 

Is this easy to fix somehow so that it never happens again? It's just not worth that time recording if this is a recurring problem. Thankful for any suggestions for the already recorded midi track and for when recording with midi plugins that might risk cakewalk behaving like that again

P.S. I've tried velocity, finding "zero controllers..." (can't even find project looking in options) and other suggestions about cc events (found none in event list), PVR and all else I've come across about this. Seems it should be an easy fix with such a simple little problem... It's really driving me slightly insane...

7 answers to this question

Is there anything else in the project, or just solo piano? Any chance something else is soloed with Dim Solo enabled? What instrument, and is it an Instrument track or separate MIDI and Synth audio? Possibly you inadvertently lowered MIDI or audio Volume in 'Offset Mode' (see the button to the left of the global Read enable in the Mix module and verify all Volumes are at 0dB when engaged).

Preferences > Project > MIDI should be available regardless of the setting of Basic/Advanced radio buttons at the bottom of Preferences, but possibly it's limited by a Workspace (I don't think Workspaces have any bearing on Preferences, but saw this suggested recently.)

I'm sure it's something simple.  If all else fails, share the .CWP here with a snippet of MIDI.

Edited by David Baay

Thank you guys so much! I will look into this thoroughly David soon as I have time this coming week! Pianoplugin is called T30-GP 1 and I'll paste the info in the eventlist later too if that might help 👍

T30 GP. Isn’t there known issue lately with NI plug ins? Just a long shot. 

Troubleshooting 101

Swap out parts unit things work. 

Most VST instruments have a built in preview like a piano keyboard you can use to check the instruments are routed properly. 
If that doesn’t generate sound then check the routing. 
Do other tracks/ instruments  play? 

I recorded with the piano plugin again after unchecking the "zero controllers when play stops". Then saved, closed and reopened and whataya know- it works fine and no volume drop. For now at least, will check again tomorrow, hopefully that's all that needed to be done, much obliged!