Fosfat Noize

Do any of you guys (or gals) use noise plugins to bring up instruments in a mix. Like on a kick or snare to add that sizzle to it. Or an acoustic instrument to bring it forward in a mix. Or do you prefer to use compression and Eq? For instances on a snare to bring out the wires or a kick to emphasize the slap to help it cut thru a mix?

ae you speaking of the Klevgrand Fosfat plugin ?  After reading this I had a look into it and managed to snag one from a cubase user, It's quite an interesting and useful plug in, quite versatile, I'd recommend it, I found a use for it as a sort of band selective "ditherer" for a mastering thing.

I would definately recommend Klevgrand, they make some great plugins, real high quality, their FreeAMP plug is a thing of beauty, its like turning up the gain on a bozak or urei rotary mixer, a mixture of butter and silk. Amazing stuff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Max Arwood said:

Yes  Klevgrand Fosfat an Denise Noize 2

They are similar but different.  I was wondering if a pcompressot that supports expansion could be used to side chain a similar type effect???

I wouldn't be exactly sure, maybe you could do it on an effect send and add to taste to your channel, I wouldn't be an expert on noise generators, you could possibly use a waveshaper (distortion) and add to taste to the instrument? maybe something like melda waveshaper MB ?

You could easily do it with an analogue synth and a filter,  but that's less noise and more waves, white noise is probably the wrong sort of noise to use, brown or pink noise would be better. I'm sure you could do it without using a plugin.

• Like 1

Yes, I suppose you could make a brownish type "sample" take your recorded instrument tracks, convert audio to a midi copy, insert the brown noise into midi and underlay / parallel compress with the original audio and blend to taste.

On 3/30/2024 at 7:40 AM, Max Arwood said:

Do any of you guys (or gals) use noise plugins to bring up instruments in a mix. Like on a kick or snare to add that sizzle to it. Or an acoustic instrument to bring it forward in a mix. Or do you prefer to use compression and Eq? For instances on a snare to bring out the wires or a kick to emphasize the slap to help it cut thru a mix?

I'm not familiar with adding noise to make acoustic instruments more prominent in a mix. So I guess I'm a compression/EQ person.

I start with getting the best sound possible with tuning (drums) and mic'ing. Then compression and EQ if needed, and carving frequencies and/or sidechaining other tracks to make space. Trackspacer is a great program for automatic EQ carving via sidechain.

On 3/31/2024 at 11:28 AM, Max Arwood said:

I don’t exactly understand your meaning. 

Complementary to EQ?

Do you use any of these?

I think it is best explained with an example:

Kick drum and bass often fight for the same space in the mix, making it hard to hear either one clearly. So when mixing you decide which one you want to be more prominent in, say, the lower end and eq appropriately then you basically mirror that in the other part. If you boost 80 Hz and cut 100 Hz on the kick, you would then do the opposite on the bass. This gives each instrument it's own space.