Check out my drums please!?

Marcello

Hi there! I recorded this MIDI programmed drum track with NI Studio Drummer (recording my own song), since I'm not a drummer, I need some real drummer or mixing engineer to give it a listen  and kindly tell me if they sound realistic enough and either if some parts or feels sound strange.

Also if the mix is good enough?

I left only the drums and the bass track for you just to grasp the groove.

The part where I have most doubts is after half song let's say.

Thanks  in advance!

To be more constructive, try messing with the " groove " tool or the quantization. It's probably alot more difficult to programme complicated drum patterns like that in midi than it is to play it live.

10 minutes ago, Mr No Name said:

To be polite If I had a band and that drummer came for an audition, he/she wouldn't get in the band. 

haha got it! would you be more specific so I could improve the patterns?

Please consider the genre is post-hardcore, so if you play jazz, no offense, or hip hop, this drums might sound pretty strange to you

1 minute ago, Marcello said:

haha got it! would you be more specific so I could improve the patterns?

Please consider the genre is post-hardcore, so if you play jazz, no offense, or hip hop, this drums might sound pretty strange to you

I don't play drums only programme them and edit in daws, but as someone who listens to a lot of music, the drums sound unnatural as if the timing doesn't make sense and doesn't follow the bassline, it may be that it will fit better with the rest of the music you had in the track, removing the other instruments may have made the timings sound strange.  ?   that would be a very difficult thing to programme in MIDI so fair play for getting it that good.

17 minutes ago, Mr No Name said:

I don't play drums only programme them and edit in daws, but as someone who listens to a lot of music, the drums sound unnatural as if the timing doesn't make sense and doesn't follow the bassline, it may be that it will fit better with the rest of the music you had in the track, removing the other instruments may have made the timings sound strange.  ?   that would be a very difficult thing to programme in MIDI so fair play for getting it that good.

Maybe,  what about the mix? The sound of the drums?

Ok, I've had a more critical listen to your track, imo, the mix of the drums is pretty good, the bass could cut through a tiny bit better,

I made some notes,

Start is very good

52secs  - 1 min ?

1 min onwards - drum hits need sharper transients, attack not fast enough,bit flabby on timing with bass

2 mins on, drum hits sound faster, sound nice

2.20  some timing issues

2.50 nice feel

3.00 on, little bit off on timing, cymbals too splashy

3.25 on nice groove,

3.40 on nice groove,

3.53 , flabby kick note

4.10 on, cymbals to splashy, snare not timed well

4.30 on , nice ending.

29 minutes ago, Mr No Name said:

Ok, I've had a more critical listen to your track, imo, the mix of the drums is pretty good, the bass could cut through a tiny bit better,

I made some notes,

Start is very good

52secs  - 1 min ?

1 min onwards - drum hits need sharper transients, attack not fast enough,bit flabby on timing with bass

2 mins on, drum hits sound faster, sound nice

2.20  some timing issues

2.50 nice feel

3.00 on, little bit off on timing, cymbals too splashy

3.25 on nice groove,

3.40 on nice groove,

3.53 , flabby kick note

4.10 on, cymbals to splashy, snare not timed well

4.30 on , nice ending.

good thanks a lot I will check this out.

11 minutes ago, Marcello said:

here you go, but I didn't record the rest, it's just the guide guitar and it's played very badly, hope it helps a bit to grasp the groove

That makes alot more sense now with the rest of the track in there for context, nice track sounds very good, can see some long haired rocker shaking his hair about to that.  cymbals sound a bit washy in places, only thing I would say.

2 minutes ago, Mr No Name said:

That makes alot more sense now with the rest of the track in there for context, nice track sounds very good, can see some long haired rocker shaking his hair about to that.  cymbals sound a bit washy in places, only thing I would say.

thanks! do you mean cymbals too loud in some parts?

16 hours ago, KSband said:

I would say way too much hard crashing on the cymbals.  Maybe less cymbal hits, shouldn't be a crash every drum beat.

Agree with KS - cymbals definitely need dialing back or if it were me I would take them out in most places

Hope this helps

Nigel

1 hour ago, Bajan Blue said:

Agree with KS - cymbals definitely need dialing back or if it were me I would take them out in most places

Hope this helps

Nigel

but the crash isn't that present, it's mainly the ride which keeps the "tempo", maybe I hit the ride too strongly, maybe I should hit it more gently.

Anyway I found this old rehearsal video of my band, and I'm basically trying to recreate in MIDI everything the drummer was doing, pretty mad hey? :D

This is the video with the original drummer playing the song, he smashes the ride quite often, don't you think?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1faRpHgbcZqiXm4tKhaBAL0xkrAQu-rBP/view?usp=sharing