No Cakewalk Playback Sound

Greg Taylor

Question

I first tried MixPad and had no issues with running the program, hearing what was being recorded during recording, playing back the recording as a project or saved audio file in typical formats.  I decided to give Cakewalk a trial, and have yet to get it to play any sounds while recording or on play, and a saved Cakewalk recording file in typical format plays fine only by using another media player.  I've tried changing the driver modes through Edit > Preferences > Audio > Playback and Recording > Driver Mode, and fooled around with the device settings by accessing Edit > Preferences > Audio > Devices and I'm getting nowhere.   Any suggestions? 

Edited by Greg Taylor

8 answers to this question

hmmm, and yet many people can record and play back in the app. so first things first:

1) you have the INPUT and OUTPUT settings in your device configuration set up:

• a) input source
  • b) output target
  • maybe start with WASAPI SHARED if your IO unit supports it.

2) open a demo project and play it. any audio? no? repeat step 1.

• this should be the fastest way to test  your audio output
  • troubleshooting - make sure your Windows OS sound settings and the CbB sound settings are using the same sample rate. e.g. if you're using 44.1K in the OS, and 48K in the DAW, you're likely not going to hear it, or hear it the way you should.

The funny thing is I originally made the videos so I wouldn’t have to say the same old thing over and over for these kind of posts.  Now I’m even getting tired of posting the videos over and over ! Just a grumpy old guy I guess. 
Hopefully Bandlab will now have the resources to provide proper professional tutorials for Sonar. 
Some software I’ve use has a set up tutorial built right in. 

Edited by John Vere

22 hours ago, Greg Taylor said:

I first tried MixPad and had no issues with running the program, hearing what was being recorded during recording, playing back the recording as a project or saved audio file in typical formats.  I decided to give Cakewalk a trial, and have yet to get it to play any sounds while recording or on play, and a saved Cakewalk recording file in typical format plays fine only by using another media player.  I've tried changing the driver modes through Edit > Preferences > Audio > Playback and Recording > Driver Mode, and fooled around with the device settings by accessing Edit > Preferences > Audio > Devices and I'm getting nowhere.   Any suggestions? 

Welcome to the forum.
What audio interface or sound card are you using?
Can you post some screen shots of your Preferences>Audio>Devices and Audio>Driver Settings and Audio>Playback and Recording?

Got it to work after reading this thread:

My Master Output Bus was set to <Realtek Digital Output>, so clikked on that tab, selected <New Stereo Bus>, found <Speakers> and now off to the races.  Thanks guys.  BTW, found the solution right off by web search after no luck with the search bar here.  Heck, I couldn't even find my way back to this thread. 

I figured from the start that my problem had to do with output device selection, since I'd just updated the Gigabyte B450M DS3H MoBo with a nice Realtek I/O driver set to config all the hardware I/O ports, front & back on the tower, to optimize how many inputs I have coming from my vintage 4-track RTR w/o having to resort to a 4-into-2 hardware stereo mixer, and lose digital track mix functions on two of the four analog tape tracks.  I tried laying down one track at a time but synching them up was a nightmare.  Maybe there are tricks to synching tracks, but I have a LONG way to go in learning a tiny fraction of the tools on this program.    (My step daughter built this tower for me in '19 before moving out to Cali, this MoBo was her choice, and a good one it is!  Thanks Susan!! :) )

My basic problem was I that couldn't figure out where the output driver selection was on Cakewalk, it is not an intuitive to maze path to the "NEW STEREO BUS" option to bring up other output device drivers available on the PC.  All good, though, as I also found a mismatch in the sampling depth and rates while running down the basic driver selection path.  

• Like 1

On 3/14/2024 at 6:53 PM, John Vere said:

The funny thing is I originally made the videos so I wouldn’t have to say the same old thing over and over for these kind of posts.  Now I’m even getting tired of posting the videos over and over ! Just a grumpy old guy I guess. 
Hopefully Bandlab will now have the resources to provide proper professional tutorials for Sonar. 
Some software I’ve use has a set up tutorial built right in. 

Maybe they could pay you to use yours?

1 hour ago, pwal³ said:

Maybe they could pay you to use yours?

Don’t think that’s how things work. 
I think the process is a knowledgeable staff member would write the script. Then you hire a professional voice over narrator and then a professional video  studio to do the screen capture and editing. 
My creations get the job done but they are far from professional. 
And even though I think I put a lot more work than most into making sure my script is as accurate as possible I seem to always make small mistakes. 
Even the most popular You Tuber has a lot of mistakes and outdated ways of doing things in his videos. That last one had some miss information that if they had taken the time to visit this forum then they would have been properly informed. 

This I why I’m hoping that Bandlab will spend the money to do it properly. 

But first they need to update the user guide. 

Edited by John Vere