MIDI Tracks not playing

Zen

Question

Hi everyone,

I have recently delved into the realm of DAWs, and I'm very inexperienced since I'm a new music producer and have not too much musical training. I've use some videos to get some of the basics of Cakewalk down, but decided that learning through doing and experience is likely going to help me more, plus using the forum page.

My question is relatively basic: after importing a MIDI file into Cakewalk, it doesn't seem that I can receive audio from the tracks or hear them.

When I initially did this, I had my chords from my piano MIDI file (imported from MuseScore just cuz I wanted to get something down), but not the melody. However, regular audio such as the metronome plays normally.

Here is a screenshot. How do I fix this?

image.png

7 answers to this question

29 minutes ago, John Vere said:

The last release of Cakewalk didn’t install the GM player so things just changed. 
You are possibly the first victim of this recent move. 

Since the Outputs of the MIDI tracks seem to be routed to the SI-Electric Piano, I assumed that the issue was not related to the lack of a default MIDI Player.  It seemed to me the SI-Electric Piano should play either of the two MIDI tracks shown (specifically the one selected/MIDI Echo on).

Is there some way that the removal of TTS-1 as the default MIDI Player/Device would interfere with the MIDI Notes going to the electric piano?

Edited by User 905133
added clarifications
  • Like 1

Track 4 is an Instrument track (combined MIDI and Audio) for SI- Electirc Piano. All you need to do is Shift+Drag (shift to constrain the time when dragging vertically) the MIDI to the Instrument track, and get rid of the separate MIDI tracks.  If you click the button at the lower left of the instrument track to Show Lanes, you can add a lane and keep the two MIDI clips separate in that one Instrument track.

It should actually work the way it is but, technically, the synth associated with an instrument track is intended to receive MIDI only from that Instrument track.

Edited by David Baay
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Zen said:

However, regular audio such as the metronome plays normally.

26 minutes ago, John Vere said:

Doesn’t the metronome go directly to the Hardware outs? If so then possibly the master bus is muted. 

Good point about the using the metronome to verify that the setup has audio.  If the metronome is audio and is routed to the Metronome Bus, it makes sense to look at the Master Bus (which I lamented that it wasn't posted when I first replied).

29 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

Good point about the using the metronome to verify that the setup has audio.

Where possible, I always recommend clicking the virtual keyboard in the synth UI to generate audio output. This also verifies the synth output is correctly assigned to input of the Instrument/Synth track.

• Like 3