Saved Track Templates Have No MIDI Function

1: The Problem
2: What I Have Tried

1: I went about my day doing sound design in VCV Rack when i stumbled upon that when i saved anything as a track template and then opened up that saved track template, the MIDI did not function, and the only sound that came out of the track was my microphone and i couldn't get a sound or response out of the plugin itself.

2: Saving any other track as a template with a plugin that isn't VCV Rack gives the same result, including the built-in keyboard in plugins like Vital, no sound or response.

Searched up the issue online and found very few posts surrounding this.

Reinstalled Cakewalk and the issue persists.

I tried changing the input from None/Omni to other inputs and then saving the track, no luck, also tried this on the saved templates, changing the input changes nothing.

Something that i want to add is that this is not just an issue with one project file, this applies to every project.

The thing i find very weird though is that i could use the templates i made before and they work completely fine, the ones i save now just do not work, it's like i somehow completely broke it, every plugin and its settings are saved, it's just more or less unusable because i can't give it a MIDI input in any way, if i open the template and replace the instrument plugin that's included it's still completely unusable and doesn't accept any MIDI input

To better showcase this i recorded a short video, first sound was saved earlier today and second was saved after the problem appeared
https://youtu.be/kg3ZG6QRoJA

1 hour ago, John Vere said:

Track templates do not save data from the tracks. It is the whole point of templates. 
This is universal to all software. 

Your video is a dead link. 

Midi input is per project not part of templates really. One little change in your system and a midi input will be lost. 

When you save projects with say a midi controller all set up to input to all your tracks, you have to make sure that controller is plugged and using the exact USB port and ready to go before you open Cakewalk and that project. Otherwise all input setting will revert to Omni. I figured this out when I set up to use my Keyboard live and I made a project I could play the VST instruments with. 

12 minutes ago, John Vere said:

Your video is a dead link. 

Midi input is per project not part of templates really. One little change in your system and a midi input will be lost. 

When you save projects with say a midi controller all set up to input to all your tracks, you have to make sure that controller is plugged and using the exact USB port and ready to go before you open Cakewalk and that project. Otherwise all input setting will revert to Omni. I figured this out when I set up to use my Keyboard live and I made a project I could play the VST instruments with. 

Video being a dead link was a major mess up on my part, should be up now, sorry about that

Are you seeing this in CbB or the New Sonar? I just did a quick test and found CbB working as expected, but Sonar assigned the input of the audio side of the Simple Instrument to the audio interface input instead of the synth's ouput when saving the template. I know it happened on save because Sonar's template is broken in both Sonar and CbB, and CbBs template is working in both. But when I tried it in a fresh project, it worked in Sonar. I thought possibly it had something to do with the Instrument track having MIDI in it when the template was saved, but that didn't check out.

I'm still looking into it, but the bottom line is that your template is probably being saved with the wrong input assignment on the audio side. You can split the instrument track to see and correct that.

EDIT: I found at least one older report of this issue. Looks like I will need to send a reproducible case to the Bakers. Based on what I;m seeing it seems to be project-specific somehow - possibly to do with what other virtual MIDI ports that are in the project and/or hardware ports coming and going. The USB connection to my audio inerface has been mechanically flaky lately which might be a factor. Users have reported other cases of port assignments getting crossed-up when hardware ports change.

Edited by David Baay
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, David Baay said:

Are you seeing this in CbB or the New Sonar? I just did a quick test and found CbB working as expected, but Sonar assigned the input of the audio side of the Simple Instrument to the audio interface input instead of the synth's ouput when saving the template. I know it happened on save because Sonar's template is broken in both Sonar and CbB, and CbBs template is working in both. But when I tried it in a fresh project, it worked in Sonar. I thought possibly it had something to do with the Instrument track having MIDI in it when the template was saved, but that didn't check out.

I'm still looking into it, but the bottom line is that your template is probably being saved with the wrong input assignment on the audio side. You can split the instrument track to see and correct that.

Tried this on multiple track templates and so far this seems to work wonderfully, thank you so much! And i do all stuff in CbB.

I found the cause in my case: having a Disconnected synth associated with an Instrument track above the one from which I was saving a template.

I haven't tested all the possible permutations of where the Disconnected synth is in the Synth Rack, but I suspect that having any disconnected synth above the one for which you're saving a template will cause a problem. In my case, the synth was manually Disconnected, but I'm guessing that freezing an Instrument/Synth track would have the same effect because it disconnects the synth.

Reported to the Bakers.

• Like 2

One other issue I have found with track templates is this.

If I have a track template with MIDI track routed to a plugin (say to a wah pedal in TH3 or IKM’s Amplitube), the MIDI routing gets lost when the track template is reloaded.

Recipe:

· Create a SIT with a VSTi
· Place an FX plugin in that track’s audio FX rack and enable that FX’s MIDI in.
· Create a MIDI track and route that track’s MIDI out to the FX’s MIDI in.
· Use the FX’s MIDI learn to create a MIDI mapping from a controller to parameter.
· Confirm that moving the slider on the MIDI controller changes the parameter on the FX.

I save both the SIT and the MIDI track to a single track template

When I insert that track template, the MIDI routing is still present. However, moving the slider on the MIDI controller no longer changes the parameter on the FX.

The work around is to turn “MIDI in” on the FX off and on again. Then re- route the MIDI track’s MIDI out to the FX’s MIDI in. After doing that, moving the slider on the MIDI controller changes the parameter on the FX.

I have tried this with VST2 and VST3 version of the FX plugin. I have also tried is with other manufacturer’s FX plugins. Same result.

This only effects Track Templates. Saving as a project or a Project Templates does retain the MIDI routing to the effect.

• Like 1