Cakewalk with Axe FX II XL

Hello: Anyone use this combination?  Got mine in today. Bought it used. I can't seem to get the audio to work.  I've downloaded the USB driver and Edit .  I've assigned the Audio to this device in Cakewalk.  Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

I have a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 as my audio interface. Cakewalk appears to think the Axe II is my audio interface. The Focusrite was grayed out.  The Axe II is connected to my pc by USB.

I had the FXII connected via USB as well, but ONLY so I could use app. The Audio outs on your FXII need to go to the inputs on the Scarlett.
You can't have 2 ASIO devices in Windows. Do a little digging, somewhere in Windows you need to disable the FX as an audio device.
IIRC, there is info on the AXE forum that will help.

t

• Like 1

Thanks:  I just did what you suggested before I read your response. I took the two outs (l and r) and went into my Scarlett 2i2 and I'm getting sounds now.  To be honest, I'm a bit disappointed in the sound I'm getting from my studio speakers.  I'm sure I'm still not doing something right.

I do appreciate your time on this.  I hear the same shrill type of tones. No body, etc. I'm sure this can be "user error".  I'm a little puzzled the presets sound this bad. Could the previous owner have done something?  There are blocks where there is nothing there. I would've guess there would be many, many presets made by the company.   But, the way it sounds now, I wouldn't buy this unit had I known. But, I could be doing something wrong.  Is there a way to download the factory presets where I can start from square one?

3 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

You can't have 2 ASIO devices in Windows.

Slight correction. 

Windows itself allows multiple ASIO devices installed.

Any one Windows program itself cannot have two ASIO devices selected therein. (Which is why the OP's Focusrite ASIO was greyed out in CbB)

If you have multiple ASIO devices, Cakewalk can use use one ASIO device.  Another program (ORB Studio for eg) can use only one of the other ASIO devices.

The two programs can run at the same time using their respective ASIO devices.

The only stipulation is same sample rate, bit depth and (I think) buffer size for all ASIO devices.

• Thanks 1

@Scott

Longtime AxeFx guy  here.

What  you are describing sounds like power amp modeling OR cab modeling is off.  I highly suggest you hit the Fractal forum and get it sorted. 

Edited by Greg Wynn

1 hour ago, Scott said:

I hear the same shrill type of tones

I would do a "reset" to factory presets. Again, its detailed on the user forum.
As Greg said above, hit the forum...

Frankly I sold mine because the editing was so "deep" I could get lost in the thing and thus get no real work done.

t

Edited by DeeringAmps

13 minutes ago, DeeringAmps said:

I would do a "reset" to factory presets. Again, its detailed on the user forum.
As Greg said above, hit the forum...

Frankly I sold mine because the editing was so "deep" I could get lost in the thing and thus get no real work done.

t

I started with a II, then a IIXL, then a III and then a III Mark II.

My Marshall JCM800, Mesa Triple Recto and Splawn Quickrod have been reduced to being expensive dust collectors - I really need to sell them :)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Greg Wynn said:

AxeEdit is a great tool

Yes indeed, but it’s the “looking glass”!

”Go ask Alice, I think she’ll know”

The Axe, in all its many iterations, is an amazing tool. I believe that, heart and soul. It just didn’t fit my workflow. 
 @Scott dig into the forum, you’ll get your head wrapped around it…

t

I went from FXII to the Strymon Iridium, now I’m riding the ToneX…

” I cain’t never be satisfied”

• Like 1