Another appeal to get the external insert issues sorted when Sonar is released

16 hours ago, David Baay said:

@msmcleod Did say he would look into addressing this limitation at some point, but that it wasn't trivial.

I have tried to contact Mark by email to ask what is planned.  My short term concern is about my previous post below.

On 3/7/2024 at 1:20 PM, norfolkmastering said:

3. Sonar and CbB have issues with external inserts which are part of FX Chain Presets.  When such a preset is recalled and is in use, the audio engine often halts . ('A Dropout has stopped the engine (12)'.  The only workaround is to extract the plugins from the FX Chain.

I use FX Chain Presets to store my external insert port configurations so I call recall them by name, e.g. 'Drum Bus', rather than having to configure them every time from scratch.  Using FX Chain Presets also means you get a meaningful FX label in your track/bus strip rather than just the generic 'External Insert' label which is too difficult to keep track of when you are using a lot of external presets in a project.

1 minute ago, norfolkmastering said:

I have tried to contact Mark by email to ask what is planned.  My short term concern is about my previous post below.

I use FX Chain Presets to store my external insert port configurations so I call recall them by name, e.g. 'Drum Bus', rather than having to configure them every time from scratch.  Using FX Chain Presets also means you get a meaningful FX label in your track/bus strip rather than just the generic 'External Insert' label which is too difficult to keep track of when you are using a lot of external presets in a project.

Not total solution, but does it work if you use a Track Preset rather than an FX Chain Preset?

8 minutes ago, Xoo said:

Not total solution, but does it work if you use a Track Preset rather than an FX Chain Preset?

It's a nice idea but that means I would need to decide what external FX chain I want to use before I use that track in the session.  I think you can merge a track preset into an existing track but you overwrite some key stuff like track to group routing.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to say that a new feature for External Inserts has been included in the latest Sonar release.  It allows you to rename any instance of an External Insert, which is really useful if you use several within a session.  So you might have a track with an external insert named 'Guitar FX' and another track with an external insert named 'Vocal WA-2A' etc.