Export sounds different than playback in cakewalk

MixingMastering

Question

Hello,

This is my first time using Cakewalk so it is probably something very obvious. For some reason, for this project only (tested on a new project and this problem doesn't occur), the export sounds way different than the playback inside cakewalk. I tried everything I found on the internet and the top results in this forum, but to no avail.

The thing is, the file is the problem, not the audio playback device, since when I reimport the file, it sounds just as awful in cakewalk. The top end sounds more crackling than a campfire.

Checked the tracks, main busses, the output bus, but nothing stands out. I assume the preference settings are not the problem, since as I mentioned earlier, works as it should in other projects.

I tried changing the export settings in every way that I could and they all sound awful.

So, what is there to do? I can't continue on this project knowing that I won't be able to ever export an accurate sound. I'll share the project file and tracks if needed.

3 answers to this question

If it only happens on THIS particular project (as stated) then I might suggest that you start the troubleshooting process by MUTING all tracks but one, export, and compare. Add another track by unmuting an additional, rinse & repeat.

At some point you may find the combination of tracks that is causing the issue, and can then investigate further.

A less helpful way to pinpoint is to disable ALL EFX and print the mix in case it may be an FX plugin misbehaving, but then you have to go back and use a process of elimination.

1 hour ago, OutrageProductions said:

A less helpful way to pinpoint is to disable ALL EFX and print the mix in case it may be an FX plugin misbehaving, but then you have to go back and use a process of elimination.

divide and conquer! if you find it's the FX then at least you know it vs tracks. either way you'll still need to do the elimination steps - but you could also divide the project into 1/2 of  the tracks first, then if the same you know it's the other set. etc. might be speedier if you have a lot tracks...

2 hours ago, OutrageProductions said:

If it only happens on THIS particular project (as stated) then I might suggest that you start the troubleshooting process by MUTING all tracks but one, export, and compare. Add another track by unmuting an additional, rinse & repeat.

At some point you may find the combination of tracks that is causing the issue, and can then investigate further.

27 minutes ago, Glenn Stanton said:

divide and conquer! if you find it's the FX then at least you know it vs tracks. either way you'll still need to do the elimination steps - but you could also divide the project into 1/2 of  the tracks first, then if the same you know it's the other set. etc. might be speedier if you have a lot tracks...

Cheers! Turns out I didn't think of the simplest method of troubleshooting. I started out dividing and the solution revealed itself. Have a great day/evening folks.

Edited by MixingMastering