Keyboard Piano clipping basics

I have many Piano/keyboard recordings, on Bandcamp. I don't use midi. I need instruction how to reduce the harsh piano over loud clips in a recorded track. I have been selecting and cutting gain down of each individual "peak." My attempt at using compression was a nightmare of confusion for me. Perhaps someone can link to a how to which will instruct me on limiting, cutting down the clipping when it occurs. Thank you, Larry Goodell

Edited by larry goodell
typo

1. Not a good idea to put your email addy out in the open.

2. Look into a way to alter the velocity curve of either your controller output or the curve/sensitivity of the Virtual Instrument. 

3. If it is a 'real' acoustic piano, work with mic gain & placement first, followed by a hardware limiter (not compressor) between the mic preamp & the analog input to your recorder chain.

Thank you. I use a Roland RD-700 with two expansion piano cards installed. I am currently selecting each clipping peak and lowering it with the adjust/gain which is tedious beyond belief but does keep the volume indicator from going into red. I've looked at videos and often even the workspace shown doesn't look like mine. Perhaps I just haven't found a basic (very basic) instruction video or text that can guide me. Thank you for any suggestion or link. Larry   duende.bandcamp.com

Edited by larry goodell
wrong word

• 1 month later...
On 2/24/2024 at 7:13 AM, larry goodell said:

Thank you. I use a Roland RD-700 with two expansion piano cards installed. I am currently selecting each clipping peak and lowering it with the adjust/gain which is tedious beyond belief but does keep the volume indicator from going into red.

Simple solution: turn down the output volume on the Roland. If the Roland doesn't have one, turn down the input control on your interface.

• Great Idea 1