Newly-inserted audio tracks initially set Output to a bus other than Master.

I do not know if this is recent behavior or not, but this morning I noticed that 10 newly-inserted audio tracks in a project are having their Output set to the project's Guitar Lead bus, rather than to the expected setting to the Master bus. (This project has multiple buses - keyboards, strings, guitars, drums, etc.)

I grabbed a screen shot to show one of the tracks this happened to, the Keyboard Stem, and I have the first few buses shown as well.  I thought perhaps it picked the Guitar Lead bus because it was the 1st bus I had added to the project, but it turns out that the Guitar Lead bus is the 2nd bus I had added to the project, so I have no guess as to what might trigger the unexpected Output setting.  (The 1st bus I had inserted into the project was the Guitar bus, not the Guitar Lead bus.)

I easily corrected the Output settings, for the 10 tracks I had inserted.  I am just pointing out the behavior, so folks can correct the settings, if needed on their projects.

image.png.53f309c8c5b11393532bb97ff0ef0145.png

Bob Bone

26 minutes ago, Robert Bone said:

I do not know if this is recent behavior or not, but this morning I noticed that 10 newly-inserted audio tracks in a project are having their Output set to the project's Guitar Lead bus, rather than to the expected setting to the Master bus. (This project has multiple buses - keyboards, strings, guitars, drums, etc.)

I grabbed a screen shot to show one of the tracks this happened to, the Keyboard Stem, and I have the first few buses shown as well.  I thought perhaps it picked the Guitar Lead bus because it was the 1st bus I had added to the project, but it turns out that the Guitar Lead bus is the 2nd bus I had added to the project, so I have no guess as to what might trigger the unexpected Output setting.  (The 1st bus I had inserted into the project was the Guitar bus, not the Guitar Lead bus.)

I easily corrected the Output settings, for the 10 tracks I had inserted.  I am just pointing out the behavior, so folks can correct the settings, if needed on their projects.

image.png.53f309c8c5b11393532bb97ff0ef0145.png

Bob Bone

By any chance did you open a track template from cakewalk's preinstalled ones? At least that's what that looks like to me. They have all the routing pre determined when I've done it, but I could be wrong.

Hi Robert good to hear from you. 

There’s lots of options to avoid this. 
My normal workflow is to use the Add Track method ( the big plus symbol at the top of the tracks. 
In the advanced section  it gives me the option of choosing the correct bus.
It also lets me insert multiple tracks which is handy for guitars and vocals. 

I also use this to insert soft synths. It’s faster than the old way. 

Second is to use track templates to build projects. 
The only issue with track templates is if the desired bus is spelt different then it inserts a new bus spelt the way it was when the template was created. It thinks  master is not Master. 

What Greg said above is also important and something to check right away. I think most of Cakewalk templates set the Master as default bus. 

Were I run into issues is when a project started as a midi file. There’s no Master bus when you open a midi file. The TTS-1 outputs to your hardware bus. This is when I’ll use track templates to upgrade the instruments.

Example: I’ll insert SI drums using my template and that populates the project with a Master bus, a drum bus and a reverb bus.  
If I keep the TRS-1 I always have to remember to change its output. I often forget. 

Track templates save the entire routing of the track you are saving. 
If I next insert The SI Bass it will only add the Bass buss because the master is already there.
The trick is to create these templates using the exact same project with all the busses spelt the same. 

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 2