Start Recording Loud Pop Output Meters Pinned Transport rolling but Recording doesn't start!

Start Recording on 1 armed track, immediately get a Loud Pop,

The Output Meters are Pinned and the Transport is rolling but Recording didn't start!

Press stop, the meters are still pinned and when I turn up the speaker system, there is some unusual signal present like a very low frequency and noise.

Press play, sometimes the signal will stop. Sometimes not, so have to exit Cakewalk.

Going to check these areas, but any other suggestions greatly appreciated:

reinstall of soundcard (Behringer x32) drivers

Latency/Buffer settings too low in CW

Will look at removing some PC system level optimizations from Windows 10.

Though the problem pre-existed, have just upgraded to Windows 11 , so may check these areas again:

Control Panel: disable system sounds // Sound Panel - Sounds to "No Sounds"

Power Options // = High Performance setting // display off = never // sleep == never

System // ADvanced System Settings // Performance / Settings / Advanced tab / choose Background Services

Adjust USB Suspend Settings // Parts 1 & 2:

Part 1: Power Options // Change Plan Settings / Change Advanced Power settings / USB Settings / "Disabled"

Part 2: Device Manager // USB Bus Controllers / on each, Pwer mgmt make sure the "Allow computer to turn off" is NOT CHECKED

Disable background processes

Settings / Privacy / Background Apps / Turn off un-wanted/un-needed

Update Process Priority and CPU Affinity for Windows Audio Control Service

Probably others, but again, any ideas on where to check would be appreciated.

I have had this several times. It had to do with plugins. Several were on my master bus. There was several different plug-in combinations that would work and several combinations that did the pop - meters pegged - no sound. Try disabling some plug-ins. Sorry I can’t remember the combinations. 

• Like 1

Wow, that was a fast proof that plugins on Master, Drum and Vocals busses were the culprit!

Note to self:  During tracking, don't need all the plug-ins that would be used for mixing/mastering !

Thanks again CW forum folks!