Unwanted closing during handling

Florian Cedard

Question

Hello, I'm writing to you because since the update, cakewalk has been closing completely and very regularly.

Let me explain.

As soon as I do something, load a plugin or record several tracks, cakewalk freezes and closes itself. I don't get any error messages.

I recorded and mixed two big EPs last year and never had this problem.
Except that today I've got a new project, and I'm completely stuck.

Even opening old projects bugs.

Thank you in advance.

3 answers to this question

Any new/updated plugins or a new audio interface in use? A crash to desktop like that usually indicates fatal memory corruption due to a misbehaving plugin, audio interface driver or other hardware driver. I'd also recomend you run a memory test to be sure it's not due to bad RAM. In my 35 years using Cakewalk, the one time I had general instability issues that weren't associated with some specific action, it turned out to be due to a bad stick of RAM. And the crashes only manifested in CW, apparently because no other applications were as RAM-intensive or otherwise using that particular segment.

Follow the instructions in this forum thread. 

The problem is almost always a plug-in.  Have your tried to start in safe mode?  How about bypassing all EFX and seeing if you still get the crashes?  You may have to do some detective work to find out what is causing the crash.

17 hours ago, David Baay said:

Any new/updated plugins or a new audio interface in use? A crash to desktop like that usually indicates fatal memory corruption due to a misbehaving plugin, audio interface driver or other hardware driver. I'd also recomend you run a memory test to be sure it's not due to bad RAM. In my 35 years using Cakewalk, the one time I had general instability issues that weren't associated with some specific action, it turned out to be due to a bad stick of RAM. And the crashes only manifested in CW, apparently because no other applications were as RAM-intensive or otherwise using that particular segment.

Hello and thank you for your reply.
No new plugins or updates. I have the impression that my bugs occur when I have a lot of processing going on at the same time.
I'll test my RAM and get back to you.

17 hours ago, reginaldStjohn said:

Follow the instructions in this forum thread. 

The problem is almost always a plug-in.  Have your tried to start in safe mode?  How about bypassing all EFX and seeing if you still get the crashes?  You may have to do some detective work to find out what is causing the crash.

Hello and thanks for your feedback.
I'll take a closer look at the checklist.
I hope to find a solution, otherwise all my projects will go down the drain 😅