Digidesign 003 Rack - Dididesign003 drivers - ASIO4ALL

Carl Parnell

Question

Hi All,

This has been a thorn in my side for some time due to owning a Digidesign 003 Rack for many moons and watching FireWire disappear with the tides.

But with a new desktop and the addition of a $40 FireWire card I though U beauty this beast will live again but I had no end of issues due to the age of the drivers and I gave up on it again.

Today I had the brain wave idea what if there was a universal driver so I googled and ASIO4ALL came up, I came home after a day of programming and thought I'll give this a crack.

Installed the A4A drivers and it only picked up my M-Audio M Track box so I thought damn I gotta install the 003 drivers again, I did that and loaded up Cakewalk and it gave me a message saying A4A may be incompatible but I continued.

I headed to drivers through edit prefences and seen that A4A was still pointing to my M-Audio so I clicked on configure ASIO icon and then I had options to setup the 003.

Setting it up I hoped for the best.

And yep it works, timing is in sync, in and out working, monitor working, recording working, I've only setup up input 1 & 2 at this stage as that's all I need but the sound is as I expected out of it awesome. I'm stoked finally my much loved 003 is alive.

You have no idea how little information there is on using this device beyond 2010 or with a PC and especially with Cakewalk. 

Happy days all. Bust out your 002,003 who knows if the console works as well?

Happy writing and mixing 

Carl

The Edge Of Fear.

• Like 1

4 answers to this question

yeah ASIO4ALL is valid, but only as a last resort. if the device company doesn't build or support an ASIO driver, or it's an older one no longer supported in the OS of choice, or the application you want to run has problems with buffer boundaries and cannot use regular ASIO or WASAPI drivers, then ASIO4ALL may be the answer. 

• Like 1

It would be interesting to perform a Loopback test to see if it actually was in sync. Asio4all is supposed to be a WDM wrapper and I’ve not tested myself but a few years ago others tested and did the Loopback was definitely not in sync. But possibly it depends on the device being used.  
I used to use it on my laptop back in W7 day’s before WASAPI came along.