Is there a way to automate repetitive steps during a recording session?

FRCi

Question

I'm recording  dozens of "studio live" song recordings, i.e., not recording tracks separately - recording my band "live" in the studio, multiple tracks per song without.  I'd like to automate (to whatever extent is possible) the steps which I repeat often during the recording session.

Assuming Folder paths, Global Audio, etc. are already configured, before the session starts, I setup the environment:

• create a new project using a template
  • Save the project using the current date + 01  (which of course creates the folder but I remover the "01" from the folder name)
  • hit "R" to record
  • hit spacebar to stop the recording

Currently, after stopping the current recording, I am manually:

• CTRL-S (to save the current project)
  • CTRL-Z (to undo the recording)
  • ALT-F, then "A" (to save the "blank" project as a new name using date + the next number in the sequence of the recording session
  • Enter "R" to begin recording the next song
  • Rinse, repeat

It would be great to automate any of the steps being taken when the band comes to the end of a song recording, beginning with hitting spacebar (or whatever) to stop the recording:

• save and close the current recording
  • open a new project (using a template that was previously created) 
  • name the "new" project with the next number in the sequence of the recording session, other name?

Next I would just hit "R" to record the next song, then rinse, repeat for as many songs as we get through.

Ideas?

4 answers to this question

I suggest looking into AutoHotKey.  It's a Windows scripting language that can be used in Cakewalk. 

You can search these forums to see some user-contributed examples.  You can google it to download  it and to find some tutorials. 

You may need some programming chops to work with it.

Edited by tparker24
Typo.

I have recorded dozens of live gigs. 
I create a project that is set up with everything and before the session or gig I save a dozen or more inside the same folder. Each has a sequential name or number. 
These will populate the start screen recent list. 
At a gig I don’t have time to fuss so I open a bunch and minimize to the bottom. 
They are all set to record. 
I usually record 6 songs or more in a row or a whole set. It’s easy to break these up later back at the studio. 
If it’s was a session I’d have time to use individual projects. So I just have to open them from the start screen. If we have a set list then they are already named.
They open super fast because I don’t put any effects on them. I do the later using the mix recall trick. 

So the routine is finish recording a song then close to save. 
Open next song which is all ready to go.  
20-60 seconds between songs. 

Basically the trick is the preparation before hand. Then to not use templates but individual projects that are named and armed and ready. 
They can each have there own folder and audio folder or use a shared folder and audio folder to start with and be “saved as “ later to clean things up. 

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 1

Mix recall can be used between projects that share the same track layout. So a live recording is a perfect situation.  

1. Get the first song sounding the way you want it and save as a Mix scene. 
2.Open song 2 

3. Open the mix scenes folder of song 1 in the browser and drag and drop the saved scene into project two. 
4. All the settings and effects you used in song 1 will populate song two. 
5. Repeat for each song. 

I made a tutorial last year about all this but I think I deleted it as it only got a couple of views. Not many people record bands anymore.