Import Musescore files into Cakewalk... good or no?

riecke

Hey all...  

Musescore is on sale and I have never used it but the idea of importing a classical score file into Cake has me intrigued.  The projects I've been doing from scratch take me weeks to play in, and then weeks more to edit the controllers and tempo map.  

If you've done this sort of import from Musescore, did it work for you?  Are there problems and pitfalls?   Any advice would be appreciated.

EDIT: i forget to answer the question - yes, for me, it works and is good! 🙂 i'm sure there are issues (as i'm a member of the .org site forum) but none which seem to affect me.

couple of considerations: muscore.ORG is the free software. musescore.COM is the paid service for accessing sheet music. MuseHUB is a painful experience which let's users install all kinds of sounds and effects and things to clog up your computer experience (at least based on all the complaints on the musescore.ORG forum).

NOTE: Musescore 4 is free - not paid. whatever you buy on the .COM site is a service which uses the free software. so, if you aren't going to use those services, just install the free software. you can always buy the services later.

i have only installed the free MS4 (which as a product is still a work in progress but sufficient for what i do - YMMV) from the musescore.ORG site. MS4 supports VSTi so you can use your instruments (like Kontakt etc) directly.

in general, i import / export MIDI to / from Musescore 4 for rendering the score, editing or creating a score, and exporting back to MIDI to bring into CW (or other apps like Toontracks EZ, Scaler, Synth V, etc for more edits, seeding, and / or rendering to audio in those products).

so - composing in MS - generally good, unless you have some of the more esoteric markup, then you may find issues although the folks on the musescore.ORG forum are helpful. export to MIDI - and then expect to adjust once you import it into CW - tempos possibly etc. mapping to the instruments, CC's and articulations for realism, and so on. templating the instruments in MS and a CW template so you can readily move things to the right place is a good idea.

as i seldom have more  than 30-40 MIDI tracks, moving the imported tracks content only takes a few minutes because i ensure things are labeled properly. some prep work is a good idea esp if you plan on 80-100 instruments.

Edited by Glenn Stanton

Thanks, Glenn.  

I should have mentioned in the  original post that I'm (happily) working with EWHO Opus.  I've typically been using one track per part unless there are a lot of divisi sections that need to have separate controllers for whatever reason.    I won't need or want any additional sample or synth content, just getting the notes into Cake.  

I can imagine that there might be quite a bit of work after the import.  I wonder how time signature changes work in this scenario.  Also there's the reconciliation between concert key instruments  and non-concert key parts.  Probably lots of other tweaks to keep you busy.

The version on sale is Musescore Pro+

IMG_8933.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/23/2023 at 9:57 PM, riecke said:

Hey all...  

Musescore is on sale and I have never used it but the idea of importing a classical score file into Cake has me intrigued.  The projects I've been doing from scratch take me weeks to play in, and then weeks more to edit the controllers and tempo map.  

If you've done this sort of import from Musescore, did it work for you?  Are there problems and pitfalls?   Any advice would be appreciated.

The website says licensed from print music and maybe I read more into that than it deserves.