Struggling with Audio file location (do not want files copied again)

dougalex

If anyone has gone through this, please give me insight into your procedure:

I record a live performance using X32 card. I put audio files in the folder where "I want them". I do not want them copied elsewhere by Cakewalk.

I start a new blank project and import the audio wav files. 

On save as, I uncheck the box "Copy all data with project", and I have set the audio folder...
At some point, with subsequent saves (not Save as..) Cakewalk indicates it is copying audio files to Audio folder (I think a subfolder path of my original files).

I hardly even know how to ask the question... I just figure someone who "recognizes this scenario, and has solved it" might give me some insight to their procedure to make sure Cakewalk will not copy my audio files to a new folder.

Best practices is open a new project and right away Save it with the copy audio checked. 
This creates a new project folder with an empty audio folder in side.  I usually name this “ Joes Party” after the gig. 

Now drag and drop the audio from your transfer drive into the project and the audio will be put in the blank audio folder. 

If it is a live recording with say 20 songs you can then split them out and use save as with the copy audio unchecked to create a individual project for each song but they will reference the audio in the one folder. 

When you open the Joes Party project folder there will be a CWP icon for each song as well as the original whole show. 

• Like 2