Aftertouch using sliders or knobs? ( non-AT keyboard)

Examigan

I figured out how to set up aftertouch (my keyboard doesn't have AT) after I've entered notes in Cakewalk.  It works after the fact if I set up an envelope. The problem is I can't assign a controller on my keyboard to adjust the amount while it's recording while I play the chords or notes, etc.    

I was trying to assign a control in the automation lane for AT  to that white-colored bar (see screenshot), but can't get it to work.

Is there a way to do that? I see an option for Remote Control and tried a bunch of settings in there, but I can't get it  to record when I move that slider in real-time while recording. 

AT in Cakewalk.jpg

Edited by Examigan
clarifying the trial and error process of recording AT

I figured it out,  but it seems jumpy (jumps back to a a default level or something like that)  unless I keep slowly changing the amount with the mod wheel or whichever control I assigned it to.   If I don't keep it moving slightly, then it jumps in value.

I'm not sure why it does that, but if anyone has an idea what it might be, please let me know.  It happens with many different controls I tried it with, and not just the mod wheel.

8 hours ago, PopStarWannabe said:

Assigning CC 131 to any slider or knob on your keyboard sends out Channel Aftertouch.

Thanks for reminding me! Ten years ago I did an textural improv with a late 1980s digital sound module--play a tone cluster and tweak the crap out of the sustained sound using its less than a handful of CCs plus whatever buttons on the panel did stuff in real time.

Since then, I have had a knob on one of my usb keyboards with a "D0" sticker to remind me it's the Channel Aftertouch knob. I have only the vaguest memory of how I set that up, but sure enough I just looked. I had assigned it to CC 131. 

In looking for soft synths that respond to channel aftertouch, I found that Cherry Audio's 

Pro Soloist includes a unique Last mode, which lets you pretty effectively mimic poly aftertouch . . . .Increasing pressure to any held key varies mod amount for the most recent note played only. 

One factory patch add vibrato for the last note played (even if a chord is played or multiple notes have been sustained).  I can't remember when I last used the D0 knob on a regular basis, but being able to use CC131 to play with the timbre of a single note out of several notes that are sounding adds a new real time performance option.

Thanks also to Examigan for asking about AT.

Edited by User 905133
  • Like 1