Odd PRV Copy & Paste Behavior? [Remedied]

sjoens

May have mentioned these in the past but these 2 issues have persisted for years thru every version of Sonar/CbB.  I don't change any settings and they seem to happen at will.

Using Ctrl+C & Ctrl+V

1. Sometimes pasted notes don't go to the intended track.  They (1) end up on another track, or (2) disappear completely even tho "Undo Paste" is in the Edit list.

Normally I can select the target track with the PRV Track list, but not always.  When that fails, sometimes I have to switch to Track View and Select & Focus the intended track for it to paste there.  Sometimes even this does not work and the note simply doesn't paste.

2. Pasted note clips should only be as long as the notes themselves but about 50% of the time they will paste with a new full length clip.  Is this intended behavior?

paste-q1.jpg.77f6accbd5d50c83dfbf14f8fb98b28c.jpg

Edited by sjoens

You need to start by ensuring both tracks are enabled for editing in the PRV by swiping or Ctrl+clicking their track numbers in the PRV tracks pane . The first track you click will get focus (track name and number highlighted white) and be the target of a paste. You can change the focus by clicking a different track's name in the PRV tracks pane but you need to leave the track nmbers selected so both source and target tracks are showing.

I'm not sure about the full-length clip; that may be related to the state of the Non-Destructive MIDI Editing option, but I can't say I've ever run into that.

All that said, I generally prefer to do track-to-track or lane-to-lane moves in the Track View because it's easier to control and confirm exactly what you're getting.

Edited by David Baay

Right.  There are times when it works as intended and then moments when it doesn't.  Usually after a long session of editing.

The full length clip thing happens sporadically at will.  I could blame it on my version of Windows, but these issues have been with me forever.

I prefer working full screen but may try splitting TV and PRV so switching is faster.

4 hours ago, David Baay said:

You need to star by ensuring both tracks are enabled for editind in the PRV by swepiing or Ctrl+clicking their track numbers in the PRV tracks pane . The first track you click, will get focus (track name and number highlighted white) and be the target of a paste. You an change thef ocus by clicking a idfferent track's name in the PRV tracls pane but you need to leave the track nmbers selected so both source and target tracks are showing.

I'm not sure about the full-lengt clip; that may be related to the state of the Non-Destructive MIDI Editing option, but I can;t say I've ever run into that.

All that said, I generally prefer to do track-to-track or lane-to-lane moves in the Track View because it's easier to control and confirm exactly what you're getting.

It doesn't work if auto-focus is enabled in the PRV.

Auto focus doesn't affect my issues.  But thanks for reminding me why I couldn't switch focus by clicking on the faded notes. That was driving me nuts as well.

You also got me reading up on moving/copying notes.  I've learned a whole new way of doing it that will hopefully end the issues.  Ctrl+C&V is so 20th century! B|

However, the new method as explained is misleading as you end up with either a scissor or eraser cursor. O.o Scarry!

Edited by sjoens

• sjoens changed the title to Odd PRV Copy & Paste Behavior? [Remedied]
12 hours ago, jimlynch22 said:

It doesn't work if auto-focus is enabled in the PRV.

I checked that before I posted just to be sure. I didn't expect it to make any difference, and it didn't. Auto focus has no effect unless you click on a note of a track that isn't already in focus, which you shouldn't need to be doing in this scenario if you select by lasso or already have the selection defined before you change focus to the target track.

When 2 clips are linked, any changes made to one automatically changes the other so you don't have to edit them separately.

In PRV I often want to edit a series of notes in a linked clip, so I right-click lasso them, then copy & paste to a new location.

At the new pasted location is where adjacent notes will disappear for no reason.  Lasso selection is what causes this.  Not sure if that's intended.

Obviously single notes in linked clips don't need to be lassoed.  But lassoing several notes is much faster than Shift+click selecting them individually.

The extent of a Lasso selection is defined by the start and end times of included notes so there shouldn't be any difference between that and Ctrl+ or Shift+clicking to extend a selection. And I don't see right offhand how copying from linked clips would have any bearing on that...? In any case, I can't replicate a problem. Might need to see a before and after screenshot to understand the scenario exactly.

Do you have Drag and Drop mode set to "Blend"?

30 minutes ago, David Baay said:

Do you have Drag and Drop mode set to "Blend"?

Always.  Only thing I can figure is Lassoing selects the notes on both linked clips (which is technically not necessary since they are linked) and as a result something is being misinterpreted or conflicted in the translation.  Will try to get a screenshot later.

1 hour ago, David Baay said:

I can't replicate a problem.

So now I can't either.  They may have fixed it with one of the recent updates.

As I try different Paste Special settings, other odd stuff is happening, like new clips being pasted when Paste into Existing Clips was checked.  But now I think it's behaving as expected, so maybe a setting was off?!

Thanks for helping.

While doing this I got another instance of a pasted one-note-with-full-length-clip.  It only happened once so definitely some kind of bug.

Edited by sjoens