Control surface and the coming Sonar

limpet

I have been pondering the thought of acquiring a control surface for some time. Compatibility between the surface and the DAW seems to be the main stumbling block.

All surfaces, perhaps excluding the Faderport if using Studio 1, seem to have varying problems with communication. I understand that most use a standard form of Mackie control, and I was wondering if Bandlab had given any thought to the possibility of easing any potential issues with the new release. Or if that is even possible.

I will be holding fire for the time being, but I might, in the mean time try to get hold of a demo of Studio 1 to test it out as I think that if I buy the Faderport it seems to include Studio 1 Artist which would probably be fine for me.

Just thinking out loud really.

I have had a Mackie Control that goes back to the very first ones after the Logic control was discontinued. I have never had trouble using any of the DAWs with it.  If I were to list all the DAWs I have tried and used it it be more or less all of them. I have never had Pro Tools work with my computers or the MC. I can not comment on Pro Tools with the MC.

It also works with videos editors and other programs. 

If you think about it is the Mackie  Control protocol that has created the compatibility we have today in so many brands. I ask why not go with the one that has been around the longest and is still being produced? 

FWIW - I have used the following control surfaces with Cakewalk (and of course the new Sonar), without issue:

Mackie Control Universal  /  XT / C4
Presonus Faderport 16 
Yamaha 01X
Behringer BCF2000
Korg nanoKONTROL Studio
Korg nanoKONTROL 2

The Presonus Faderport 8 is essentially an 8 fader version of the Faderport 16, and works fine with Cakewalk/Sonar.

A fair number of users use the Behringer X-Touch (the big one), which is basically a full clone of the Mackie MCU.

For surfaces that claim to support the Mackie Protocol, but don't specifically support SONAR/Cakewalk, you can usually get it working by checking "Disable handshake" in Cakewalk's Mackie Control surface dialog.  You may also want to check one of the compatibility modes such as Cubase or Universal.

The control surfaces that seem to cause the most issues are the single fader type, so unless you know it works with Cakewalk, I'd avoid them.

• Great Idea 1

2 hours ago, msmcleod said:

Mackie Control Universal  /  XT / C4
Presonus Faderport 16 
Yamaha 01X
Behringer BCF2000
Korg nanoKONTROL Studio
Korg nanoKONTROL 2

You're not alone, I've tried all of them with Sonar as well (except for the 01X) and they worked for me.

I don't foresee any specific seismic changes in controller compatibility until MIDI 2.0 becomes mainstream.

Edited by Craig Anderton